Interior walls in coop vs exposed framing

alexisrambles

Songster
May 22, 2019
Louisiana
Hi guys! I'm working on my chicken coop plans, and I'm really torn between putting nice pretty interior walls in, or just leaving the exposed framing.

Who has or hasn't put interior walls in and why? Feel free to share coop pictures!

I'm considering interior walls (like paneling) so cleaning would be easier when the mites inevitably return...

Give me your thoughts!

We have two parts to our coop, an outter semi enclosed area wich has four outter walls with none inside and a door fully open for them to choose. But it connects to the main coop wich has outter and inner walls for insulation during winter. Weve had it for two yr now and never felt the need to really clean the walls to much.

Hmmm okay. I definitely don't need insulation where I am. I'd kill for some cold!

Good to see that the deep coop clean isn't always necessary too!

Exposed framing. Tacking up walls gives a space to collect dust and a great hiding place for rats and mice. Cleaning? I take the spray hose and clean away all the dust and cobwebs. I also have a sprayer I can connect on the hose and spray the inside with a disinfectant like vircon. It kills everything. That's clean.

Well solid interior walls look nice, but you need to make sure that rodents don't start nesting in the gap.

I think originally I would've preferred a solid wall, but having bare studs makes it pretty easy to know where to securely attach things like brackets for roosts and shelves.

I have exposed walls, but I wish they were finished. I'd like to add insulation (keeps cool in summer and warm in winter), and it was an absolute a B**** to paint all those construction grade boards. Can't tell you how many sponges and brushes and rollers and days of time and sore muscles I went through. If it had been finished I could have finished in one day.

Plus, with exposed walls you end up with situations like this:
IMG_6249.JPG
IMG_6250.JPG

I mean, it's pretty cute, but still. :gig

Back
Top Bottom