Internal broken soft shell egg

Saris

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 16, 2015
Spokane
My hen had a broken egg hanging from her vent, I was able to pull much of it out put I didn't stick my finger in her vent to clear it out. I hope that makes sense.

Before this she had stopped laying for a couple weeks, she has no abdominal swelling or squishiness that I can feel. Her comb is faded and now I'm afraid that some egg must've been left inside her and she has an infection. I have Tylan 50 injectable and Tylan powder that I could give orally. I also purchased Calcium tabs that I can crush to give her.

I know she needs bathed and given the antibiotics but I would like advice on how much to give and for how long. I'm pretty comforatble tube feeding so I could add meds to a mash if needed.

I wish there were a step by step guide for treatment.

I'm prepping for my son's birthday party too, so the speediest route would be best, please advise. Thank you!

Thanks, I'm hoping she can help with the dosing of the Tylan, Any tips for what I should do before starting antibiotics? I should lube up and try and manually clear stuff from her vent, yay or nay?

That I am not sure of, I would epson salt warm water bath and see if she passes anything? keep her warm

who just went through this on the thread Saris, lets look for it in advanced search cause I know Kat helped them, not sure if it was BJ or Hawk12?

I think the Denagard could be used to treat a repro tract infection, but I'm not sure... Google tiamulin and E. coli, and tiamulin and pseudomonas. Oxytetracyline probably won't work.

-Kathy

I spoke to a vet about this and was told to hold off on antibiotics unless I was sure of infection. Fluffy B was acting normal so I was hoping she would pass the egg on her own, she hadn't after baths and massages so finally yesterday I force fed her half a calcium tab and today she laid!!! Her normal egg size is about 1.87 oz.

This is what was stuck.
She is a good girl. That is what I do as soon as possible, crush a calcium pill alittle water and a syringe. Goes down fine. Also, I had a very serious case and the vet gave her something like a prostaglandin to help with contractions.

Thanks, I'm hoping she can help with the dosing of the Tylan, Any tips for what I should do before starting antibiotics? I should lube up and try and manually clear stuff from her vent, yay or nay?

• casportpony
  • Platinum_Poultry.v2677963714.png
  • Team Tube Feeding Captain
Tylan

This is what I have found so far:

Quote:
CRD indications:

• Administer medicated drinking water for three days; however, medicated water may be administered for one to five days depending upon severity of infection. Treated chickens must consume enough medicated water to provide 50 mg per pound of body weight per day. Only medicated water should be available to the birds.
Turkeys:

• Administer medicated drinking water for three days; however, medicated water may be administered for two to five days depending upon severity of infection. Treated turkeys must consume enough medicated water to provide 60 mg per pound of body weight per day. Only medicated water should be available to the birds.

For those that don't have a gram scale, you can use this info to calculate your dose:

And this for the injectable:

-Kathy

Tylan

This is what I have found so far:

For those that don't have a gram scale, you can use this info to calculate your dose:

And this for the injectable:

-Kathy

And these doses would be the same even though she doesn't have a respiratory infection? That sounds dumb asking, but I'm really frazzled and nervous.

Back
Top Bottom