Intro - Backyard Chicken Owner

Ivoryone

Chirping
Feb 20, 2021
Salt Lake City, Utah
Hi, my name is ShirLee and I live in Salt Lake City. I have three laying chickens called Henna, Bianca, and Gretchen. I bought them from my friend who raises chickens last year and learning as I go for their care by scouring all the sites I can find on the Internet and reading about raising The white is a Leghorn and her name is Bianca and she is at the head of the pecking chain. Gretchen is a Plymouth Rock and is high strung, and skittish, and is # 3 in the pecking order. Henna is a New Hamshire Red and not too much bothers her and she is #2 in the pecking chain. They all are a little over a year old and have hilarious personalities. Each of their eggs are a different shade and Henna's eggs have teeny speckles in them. Bianca's eggs are a darker tan and Gretchens a pale tan and a little larger but she isn't consistent in laying. Probably because she is on the bottom of the pecking chain. She is now alot bigger and matches the others in size.

leghorn-chicken-close-up.jpg
20200811_120714.jpg
new-hampshire-red-chicken-in-backyard.jpg

Today as I was feeding and cleaning out their run and chicken coop, I discovered Bianca's top cone is ripped and bleeding. About gave me a heart attack. Separated her from the others and cleaned it up. I put Neosporin on it and hope she will get better. Do not know what else to do for her.

Attachments

• Biancas cone tear 22021.jpg
    Biancas cone tear 22021.jpg
    718.9 KB · Views: 1
Today as I was feeding and cleaning out their run and chicken coop, I discovered Bianca's top cone is ripped and bleeding. About gave me a heart attack. Separated her from the others and cleaned it up. I put Neosporin on it and hope she will get better. Do not know what else to do for her.
Keep her separated, just make sure the wound is kept clean. Let it heal.

Welcome!
are you sure Gretchen is Plymouth Rock? She look more like a silver laced Wyandotte.
I think she is what you said. The lady I bought her from wasn't sure but she did mention the possibility of being the silver-laced Wyandotte. Thank you for letting me know for sure, as I know nothing about the various breeds, only what I am told or read to compare. If I had known that I would have named her Wynnona! LOL!

I think she is what you said. The lady I bought her from wasn't sure but she did mention the possibility of being the silver-laced Wyandotte. Thank you for letting me know for sure, as I know nothing about the various breeds, only what I am told or read to compare. If I had known that I would have named her Wynnona! LOL!
I think she is Wyandotte. Rock have single comb style. She has rose comb. :)

Back
Top Bottom