introduce chick grit?

I second the question about sand from outside being safe for chicks on unmedicated food. Anyone? Bueller?

I second the question about sand from outside being safe for chicks on unmedicated food. Anyone? Bueller?

I provided mine with Chick Grit once they started foraging outdoors (and eating stuff other than their chick feed). If the chicks are outside they will unintentionally eat the sand on the ground while foraging. As long as it is not Play Sand (and is naturally found outdoors) it shouldn't hurt them.

I can't get grit till tomorrow, and DH wants to just get sand from a nearby sandpit, which will be Sunday, maybe, if he goes. I was looking at the fine black dirt DH dug up from under the coop, for burying skirting, and threw a couple handfuls of that in the brooder, once I noticed one of my 1-2 day old chicks catch and eat a mosquito. I watched as a few sampled the dirt, and a couple others were pecking at it pretty good, I'll have to bring a dish out to put some in when I check on them in a bit.

Does anyone see a problem with using black dirt instead of sand or commercial grit?

Nah, its pretty natural. If my chicks are outside they spend the day catching bugs, eating dirt and dust-bathing. They caught coccidiosis pretty early and all survived so I know they are immune now. A couple have some sneezing but are putting on good weight. I have been putting them out since week two and they are stronger then other birds that have been kept inside.

There seems to be so many opinions on this subject that I'll add my 2 cents. I just got my chicks this week and asked this question on a local backyard chicken forum. They suggested contacting the feed manufacturer if you couldn't find an ingredient list on your chick starter. I am feeding Coyote Creek Organic Chick Starter. It's pretty powdery with bits of ground corn and other grains. This is the response I got from them which makes it sound like chicks don't necessarily need grit since this particular brand of feed is already ground up.

"There is no need to add grit to your chicks' diet since the feed is in the mash form. The starter feed is a complete ration so you don't need to supplement it with anything else."

I am going to start feeding the chicks supplemental foods in a week or so (grass clippings, yogurt, etc..) so I figure I will start adding some sand or parakeet grit then.

I second the question about sand from outside being safe for chicks on unmedicated food.  Anyone?  Bueller?

Well I've been taking my 5 chicks outside to play for about 5 weeks now and still have them on unmedicated feed. All are playing, dust bathing, catching bugs, eating, drinking and all around acting fine so I'm going to assume they haven't caught any cocci while on unmedicated feed. They are all so playful and cuddly I love them :D

Back
Top Bottom