Introducing a rooster

BabeMj

Chirping
Jan 8, 2022
Hi all I have 4 backyard chickens. A speckled Sussex, a buff, and 2 miniature (bantam) chickens. I was wondering if I would be able to introduce a rooster to this size flock or is it too little hen? Please let me know your thoughts.

To be fair to your tiny hens a big rooster can cause injury by squishing them.

With just 4 females a rooster may be far more problems than it's worth.

What is the goal in having a rooster? Fertile eggs? Flock protection?

To be fair to your tiny hens a big rooster can cause injury by squishing them.

With just 4 females a rooster may be far more problems than it's worth.

What is the goal in having a rooster? Fertile eggs? Flock protection?
We want our speckled sussex to have babies so we can sort of keep her bloodline. We love her very much 😂.

Do any of your females go broody? Will you be using an incubator if they don't?

Do you have a second coop and run you could move the tiny birds into for their safety?

What if the rooster is a giant jerk?

Do any of your females go broody? Will you be using an incubator if they don't?

Do you have a second coop and run you could move the tiny birds into for their safety?

What if the rooster is a giant jerk?
If I bring a bantam rooster will the bigger hens mate with him? Or will they bully him? I don’t have an incubator yet they occasionally do go broody but will get an incubator just in case. What is my best route to go about.

If you want pure Speckled Sussex you should be ready to segregate the tiny birds but that leaves just 2 hens for the rooster....which is not something I can recommend.

The best thing you can do to show your love for your hen is to give her an amazing happy life with great care, a clean environment and good food.

In my opinion your flock is to small to handle a big ole rooster.

If you want pure Speckled Sussex you should be ready to segregate the tiny birds but that leaves just 2 hens for the rooster....which is not something I can recommend.

The best thing you can do to show your love for your hen is to give her an amazing happy life with great care, a clean environment and good food.

In my opinion your flock is too small to handle a big ole rooster.
I don’t necessarily need a pure speckled. But if I bring a bantam rooster will my speckled Sussex mate with it?

Back
Top Bottom