Introducing baby chicks- what do I look for

Jess718

Chirping
Mar 23, 2022
So first, I did read up in introducing and fully intended to wait til 12ish weeks to intermingle (they are 9/10 now, a couple are a few days younger than the others), but things were going so well… for the last 3 weeks the chicks have been in the run with the two big girls, but they were sectioned off with chicken wire and had their own small coop (see pic). They had their own food and water but could obviously see each other.

The little buggers have been digging and getting in with the big girls who haven’t seemed to care at all. I found them out when I checked them after work. Now I take the big girls not caring as a good sign. So today I let them all hang out in the garden. It went well. They were kind of around eat other but not really hanging out if you know what I mean. Twice I saw a little snap from a big girl I would call it but no contact and that was it.

Now I want to know - how does this work in the big coop? The babies haven’t really been roosting but will they start in the big coop? Do I encourage that now or let them do what they want?

What should I watch out for other than of course bullying or bleeding or wounds?

Is there anything that encourages them to like each other - other than more time? They have two feeding and water stations and a swing, branches, etc. and i usually bring extra stuff out each day- even if it’s just a handful of worms.

The first pic is from a couple of weeks ago of their area I had set up. The second was today with them all foraging.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3128.jpeg
    IMG_3128.jpeg
    989.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3457.jpeg
    IMG_3457.jpeg
    1,003.7 KB · Views: 4
i wouldnt worry about it theyre old enough to know how to avoid getting their but kicked as long as theres plenty of room .. as far as spats, fighting, and a few feathers getting pulled now and then thats pretty normal .. a typical scene at my coup is an older hen patrolling the entrance until she's tired of it and the younger ones hanging out waiting for her to go roost ..eventually things will get less tense, usually when they all start laying ..

Well here’s the first night report. None of the babies went into the big coop BUT they never have before and their small coop is closed off. So I showed them all in and they all piled up in the nesting boxes 🤦‍♀️ what do I do about this. The big girls are on their roosting bars which I have two spanning the coop at the same height. They might seem high for the chicks. Do I put a lower one in for them? Are they just too young still?

How high are your roosts? Unless they are super high, they might be easier to get to for the young ones than some older ones…
just take them out of the nest box and put them kn the roost - they will get the hang of it.

The big girls are on their roosting bars which I have two spanning the coop at the same height. They might seem high for the chicks. Do I put a lower one in for them? Are they just too young still?
How high are the roosts?

4 week olds sitting about 30" up. They can get to the top but knew better than to try.
early10.jpg

You mentioned having 2 roosts but you did not mention how close the roosts are together, or if adults are actively using both roosts. Adults will chase chicks away if they're too close. Chicks should learn to roost from watching adults but it may take a few days - the chicks above watched the adults for 2 days before roosting for the night.

As far as the original post, don't expect them to "like" each other or flock together until the chicks are close to point of lay. The goal is to have subflocks accept one another, not necessarily be friends.

How high are the roosts?

4 week olds sitting about 30" up. They can get to the top but knew better than to try.
View attachment 3489909

You mentioned having 2 roosts but you did not mention how close the roosts are together, or if adults are actively using both roosts. Adults will chase chicks away if they're too close. Chicks should learn to roost from watching adults but it may take a few days - the chicks above watched the adults for 2 days before roosting for the night.

As far as the original post, don't expect them to "like" each other or flock together until the chicks are close to point of lay. The goal is to have subflocks accept one another, not necessarily be friends.
My little cockerel tried the top bar his second night of roosting with my bigger pullets.. hasn’t tried since.

OP I’m sure breed plays a role here but my two naked necks started roosting after only 1 night of watching the bigger girls. My bigger pullets taught themselves after only 3 nights. I think it’s pretty instinctual. As for how high, my 11 week olds sleep about 5 ft up and my 8 week olds roost about 4 ft up. They all ignore the lower bars.

Attachments

• 3B97A270-B6CB-436E-9BDB-BA1B3E0745A0.jpeg
    3B97A270-B6CB-436E-9BDB-BA1B3E0745A0.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 5
Oh okay. Mine are four feet ish. So maybe it’s not too high. There’s a spot to even land in between. Maybe I need to give them a couple of nights to just get used to it.

Back
Top Bottom