Introducing Chickens - Eight New to the Four Existing

To update.

After struggling a bit yesterday to herd the birds into their respective coops at 8pm, I decided I'd leave them out at 8 and just keep an eye on them and see where they "chose" to go and when. I'm sure the head roo had something to do with the selections in the coops but by 830p, the birds where inside coops. I'm surprised at who was in the main coop but for now, they're locked in and snoozing for the evening.

Now I can't decide if I should open the pens in the morning and let them out into the kennel run (no hardware cloth is around the bottom of it, only bird netting on the top) or if I should keep them in the coops until husband gets mobile around 2-3pm. There are 4 in the small coop and 8 total in the big coop, instead of 8 in the small coop and 4 in the big coop lol. A couple of the birds that are in the big coop have been really skittish with the existing birds while out in the run. Also, one of the existing girls has been struggling to maintain any sort of rank and the new girls are probably going to give her hell.

Ugh. I think I'm going to just have to open the pens tomorrow and let them all out all day. There's only one waterer in the big coop and the existing birds like to nestle down near it when it's warm since it's shady, and the other roo hasn't been keen on sharing anything.

Small bonus though, the barred rock, I'm almost certain that she'll leave me her egg in the nesting box if she has access to it.

How concerned do I need to be about losses if I let them out in the kennel run? I'm so nervous about something maybe getting in while we aren't around to keep watch :/

The kennel run I would think will be fine. Are there any gaps? Any loose dogs?

I have a 2by4 run I built that I just piled dirt/mulch against. Never had a problem.

The kennel run I would think will be fine. Are there any gaps? Any loose dogs?

I have a 2by4 run I built that I just piled dirt/mulch against. Never had a problem.

Gaps, none that I know of that the chickens can make it through. If a loose dog wanted to maul the gate, they could get in though. One of my neighbors has a lab that roams who could possibly be a problem, but he's not in my yard that often, that I know of. But. We are out in the boonies. We have captured (on our trail cam) upwards of 9 strays feasting on leftovers we tossed out for wild birds and deer.

The other thing of concern is that the chickens will and do stick their head through the chain link to dine on whatever goodies they see outside of the run. They could easily be beheaded if a predator strolled through.

We have some low spots, but we've added bricks on the inside to keep the chickens in. The more I think about it, especially with the water situation, I think I'm going to have to open the pens in the morning. I won't have enough time to get them back in their coops if I do, so it's either leave them in the coops they're in now, or open them and hope for the best. I haven't had a chance to add more hiding spots in the main coop so it would be a free for all when it comes to arguments.

Here are some extra photos of the run area, before we got the netting on the top and cut the grass around it lol

This gap is covered with netting now.

The neighbor with the roaming dog is the house you can see off in the distance on the right of this photo. We don't have perimeter fence up yet to slow down any other creatures coming onto the property.

Our resolution to the low spots in the yard.

After hearing some loud squawking in the coop this morning while getting the dogs out to potty, I decided to open the pens and let them out in the run for the day. I'm nervous.

I'm going to try to remain optimistic that if something should try to get in, that the two roosters will handle business. And also hope that no one gets beheaded in a drive by attack...

Everyone was fine, and aside from one chicken taking a bit longer to go into the big coop, ALL 12 put themselves to bed in the main coop. I'm pleased. The morning may be another harrowing one until I get out there to open the coop door, but all things considered, it's a step in the right direction.

Now, if Ringo would just chastise Wyatt for being a jerk to the ladies, we'd be doing better. He's not really trying to mate them, he's just being a dominant d-bag. (Grabs them behind their skull and holds them from in front, rips out feathers in the process, chases them aggressively, etc.)

Everyone was fine, and aside from one chicken taking a bit longer to go into the big coop, ALL 12 put themselves to bed in the main coop. I'm pleased. The morning may be another harrowing one until I get out there to open the coop door, but all things considered, it's a step in the right direction.

Now, if Ringo would just chastise Wyatt for being a jerk to the ladies, we'd be doing better. He's not really trying to mate them, he's just being a dominant d-bag. (Grabs them behind their skull and holds them from in front, rips out feathers in the process, chases them aggressively, etc.)
Great!!
2 males is almost always trouble.....things are much, much more peaceful with only 1 male.

It's not that full of sun all day. By 3PM, they have plenty of shade coming in from the tree line they're near. They also have the mister to use and there's not just the shade in the grass (there's still shade in both pens to use as well). I'm going to plant some cucumber and grapes for them on the hoop house to help with shade. I'm also still trying to find things I might be able to re-purpose for them, for both extra shade and play time stuff. I do understand the concern though, and I appreciate it.

My other big "to-do" is a new coop roost. Since they're all in the hoop house now, I think one or two might be snoozing in the nest boxes since the ladder contraption we made is a bit cramped with all 12. We had a ton of errands to run today, so I'll get out there tomorrow and see what we have. We have some wood left, but I don't know how much exactly. I went and stared at the remaining pallet we have earlier today and I think it's just too dilapidated to use.

As far as integration goes, things are moving along. Wyatt is still a jerk. Ringo is still a rapist. The Barred Rock has been named Kitty because she is JUST like one with getting under your feet and walking in front of you. One of my existing girls is doing the squat now (YAY!) and overall, there are less squabbles in the herd. I'm opening the hoop house for them in the mornings so they can do chicken things in the run expansion and so far so good. They're much happier with that arrangement and I am too. The egg rewards are enough for me.

Chicken introductions are stressful, but they DO get easier.

Now, to think really hard about Wyatt's status in the flock. The boys are having arguments, but not when I can see them. I just see new marks on their combs/wattles. Also, the two existing girls still run to Wyatt for protection when the other girls get sassy. He does take care of them. (They'll run to Ringo too, but he's usually with the other ladies, and they're trying to get away from them)

Another week down and things are going better. Now, it's just down to the two roos. I'm trying to figure out how I can possibly separate them and keep the costs down.

Anyway, Wyatt has taken over as head roo, I think mainly because of his stature. He is finally doing the tidbitting call and trying to ask to mate instead of just taking. Ringo, who was at the top, has relinquished that status for now. Wyatt repeatedly reminds him of his place, but Ringo will also be a jerk back to him and threaten to knock him off the hen when Wyatt is trying to mate. I do foresee a battle brewing.

One of the original girls has also been thrown down to the bottom of the pecking order. It's as though she and Ringo are the outcasts. Since Ringo was dragging his feet cooping up tonight, and Nona was quick to come out of the coop when I backed out of it, I put the both of them in the introduction pen for the night. Seems like they both could use a break.

I just hope that it doesn't negatively affect either of them when I open the doors to the coops tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom