Introducing chicks to outdoor items

TyRi

Chirping
Premium Feather Member
Feb 19, 2024
Northwest Ohio
I have a 1st time brooder full of a little over week old chicks. It has been chillier than I would like it to be to take any field trips outdoors (which maybe its too early anyway) so I brought a few sticks, few leaves, and a rock in with a small amount of dirt today. Is that a bad idea/too early? Figured to start getting them outdoor exposure since if they were with mom they would be exposed anyway. Just curious on thoughts!

Sure, why not? Are you giving them grit yet? I like to give mine chick grit for about three days and then start them on a few dried meal worms while I call "chick chick chick." Never to too early to teach them I am the Goddess of All Good Things. Some people also start giving them chunks of sod with the soil attached so they can start getting acclimated to the local bacteria in the soil. Supposed to help build immunity against coccidiosis, I understand.

Last edited:
Sure, why not? Are you giving them grit yet? I like to give mine chick grit for about three days and then start them on a few dried meal worms while I call "chick chick chick." Never to early to teach them I am the Goddess of All Good Things. Some people also start giving them chunks of sod with the soil attached so they can start getting acclimated to the local bacteria in the soil. Supposed to help build immunity against coccidiosis, I understand.
Yes i started making chick grit available yesterday! Figured it couldn’t hurt but didn’t want to introduce too much too early!

Back
Top Bottom