Introducing chicks to the flock

Beni

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2017
Hello and thanks in advance for the guidance on this!
I have 10 chicks being kept separate from my flock eating starter-grower feed. Three of them are already larger than some of my adults and are ready to get out of the chick pen. Is it ok to integrate them before 18 weeks? This would mean they would be eating layer feed with the other adults before the recommended 18 wks - is that problematic?

Along the same lines, if we let a hen raise her chicks with the flock how do you keep the young birds on starter-grower feed once they're able to reach the flock's adult layer feeders?

Thanks again!

I feed allflock feed its for all poultry any ages real easy cause I just buy one type no stress about my hens getting force fed to much calcium, roosters with liver problums or chicks needing chick food but eating laying pellets.

You can give only grower feed to all until they are laying I think that's best, easier

I personally tried grower feed only and it was easy until they all started laying they ate too much oyster shells, so I started back on layer feed

You can give only grower feed to all until they are laying I think that's best, easier

I personally tried grower feed only and it was easy until they all started laying they ate too much oyster shells, so I started back on layer feed

Thanks! Did putting the mature hens on grower feed affect their laying at all?

I feed allflock feed its for all poultry any ages real easy cause I just buy one type no stress about my hens getting force fed to much calcium, roosters with liver problums or chicks needing chick food but eating laying pellets.

Good idea, thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom