Introducing ducklings to broody duck

Pegasusu

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 28, 2016
Our Khaki Campbell duck has sat on her eggs for five weeks now... I think she's in denial, and it's unlikely that her eggs will hatch. MAYBE! We did sneak some other eggs under her a few days after we noticed she had been sitting for a while, and didn't keep track which ones they were. In efforts to take advantage of the fact that she SO DESPERATELY seems like she wants to be a mother, we went and bought some ONE DAY OLD ducklings, and thought maybe she'd go for it. Has ANYONE had success introducing ducklings to a mother duck? We really would like to avoid being the Mommy duck this year around.. it's some BIG WORK!

I have no idea but am very curious, so subscribing!
1f642.png

If all goes well, in a week's time I'll be introducing day-old ducklings (hatched in an incubator) to a broody duck... It's relatively easy to introduce day-old chicks, quail, or ducklings to broody hens, but haven't yet tried this with mamma ducks.

Came across the following blog post and thought it might be helpful.... These homesteaders had success in placing ducklings on the nest of a broody duck when her own eggs failed to hatch: http://wholefedhomestead.com/introducing-ducklings-to-a-broody-duck/

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom