Introducing my 8 week old pullets to my 3 older girls

Goldengirls406

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 22, 2016
Stevensville, MT
I recently purchased 14 chicks and have never introduced new chickens to a flock before. I have 3 2 year old hens and will eventually need to introduce the new chicks to the old chickens...I’m waiting until the new chicks are 8 weeks old. I’ve been getting mixed messages watching you tube and reading books about the subject. Some say don’t introduce older chickens to chickens that aren’t the same size, and some say it’s fine to introduce at 8 weeks old. I need some experienced opinions...please help!
PS I’m already know how to introduce them...I just need advice on what age to do so! Thank you!

I recently purchased 14 chicks and have never introduced new chickens to a flock before. I have 3 2 year old hens and will eventually need to introduce the new chicks to the old chickens...I’m waiting until the new chicks are 8 weeks old. I’ve been getting mixed messages watching you tube and reading books about the subject. Some say don’t introduce older chickens to chickens that aren’t the same size, and some say it’s fine to introduce at 8 weeks old. I need some experienced opinions...please help!
PS I’m already know how to introduce them...I just need advice on what age to do so! Thank you!
:welcome :thumbsup

If it is only 3 old hens and 14 new chicks, you can introduce them at 8 weeks, if the youngsters greatly outnumber the old hens like that then it is hard for one chick to be singled out, the old hens will still pick on the little guys but because there is so many no one will get badly injured. it would be different if, for example, there was three hens and three 8 week olds, then the same 3 would constantly be getting picked on. With 14 chicks everyone will take a light blow but with 3 chicks everyone takes a heavy blow. The new chicks will stay away from the old hens until they are adults, usually just on the other side of the coop. My flock greatly varies in age, the oldest are 4 years and the youngest are 4 months.

Back
Top Bottom