Introducing new birds to an unestablished flock

Anastajiana

Hatching
Jan 12, 2022
In the spring I will be receiving 6 RSL hens and two weeks later will be introducing 6 Orpingtons to the flock. My coop is currently empty and I've cared for both breeds before but have never had to introduce new chickens.
Most introduction methods talk about established flocks however I'm sure my RSL hens will be still fairly new. That being said, how should I introduce them to one another seeing as a strong pecking order will have yet to be established?

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I don’t I will if this will help. But when in i put new birds in to the flock I usual put them in a separate pen near the coop till they get used to each other.

In the spring I will be receiving 6 RSL hens and two weeks later will be introducing 6 Orpingtons to the flock. My coop is currently empty and I've cared for both breeds before but have never had to introduce new chickens.
Most introduction methods talk about established flocks however I'm sure my RSL hens will be still fairly new. That being said, how should I introduce them to one another seeing as a strong pecking order will have yet to be established?

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Hens as in adult or pullet? If all chicks, two weeks in age difference should be manageable with a couple days of see no touch.

Hi from Louisiana, glad you joined.

Within two weeks a pecking order will have been established but I don't think that really matters. It would not affect any of my recommendations anyway. They are going to have to establish a new one.

What do your facilities look like? How big is the run in feet or meters? How big is the coop in feet or meters? How are they tied together? Photos can really help.

How old is each group? How mature they are can play a big part in this. You say the RSL's are all girls, will the Orpington all be girls?

I don't have any kind of feel for what you are working with so it's hard for me to make specific recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom