oscarwhitehampton

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2020
Unfortunately I have lost three of my hens recently to an attack by the neighbours dog. We only have one left surviving, who we actually found in the dog’s mouth. However, she has pulled through and is still with us, although a little traumatised.

I don’t want to introduce new hens just yet, but I’m thinking about when that time comes. What would be the process of introducing three or four more hens to a flock of one? I know that I would need to quarantine them to avoid any illness / diseases. Other then that is there anything I should be aware of / need to do?

After you quarantine them find a way to put a barrier between them so they can still see each other but not be able to hurt them until they get to know each other after a few days they usually accept them in to the flock because there use to seeing them through the barrier a decent size cage works well for integrating one into your flock hope this helps

Actually - sooner is better. With a flock of one, I would not worry about quarantine. But I only get chickens from people like me, or chicks, no auctions..

Are you getting chicks, or older hens. She is going to be unhappy when you bring them in. Chicks will need protection, but there are lots of tricks to getting that to go. If closer to full size birds, lock them in the set up, and let them explore the set up without her. Or put her in a crate, and let the other chickens explore around her, for maybe a couple of days.

Mrs K

Actually - sooner is better. With a flock of one, I would not worry about quarantine. But I only get chickens from people like me, or chicks, no auctions..

Are you getting chicks, or older hens. She is going to be unhappy when you bring them in. Chicks will need protection, but there are lots of tricks to getting that to go. If closer to full size birds, lock them in the set up, and let them explore the set up without her. Or put her in a crate, and let the other chickens explore around her, for maybe a couple of days.

Mrs K
Hi — I’ve just posted a similar thread as this OP, and this popped up afterward.

May I ask you a couple questions?

1 - Why is sooner better? (I have that sense, but not sure why)

2 - My surviving hen is about a year old. I’m bringing in 2 buff orpingtons 2 years old.
You are recommending that someone crate the surviving girl and let the 2 new hens explore. That is the opposite of what I’ve read. Is that because of the numbers involved? (One survivor, 2 new)?

I am not sure there is a reason for the sooner is better - but I would do it that way. I have kept a single bird, for a couple of weeks to make sure he was molting and nothing was wrong and he was fine.

As to 2 - I have had way better luck with either letting the original birds out to free range and locking up the new girls in the coop/run or locking up the original bird so the new birds can explore. This allows them to explore, find feed and water and hideouts, without being chased for their lives. It gives them some territorial rights. And I swear the old girls get used to seeing them and the sky doesn't fall.

If one locks up the new birds, well they can't explore, and just a very small bit of real estate is familiar to them. You turn them loose, and they still have not explored either the coop or run. This puts them at a disadvantage.

I can usually get birds into a flock in about 3-5 days. Once I got a single bird into an established flock of 8...a very difficult integration using this method.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom