Introducing year old RIRs to my 4 month old Austras

I have 4 four month old Australorps raised from baby chicks. One is a sweet rooster. Someone I know has to get rid of her 15 month old rhode Island reds because of neighbor issues. She has seven and I was considering taking two.
The Aussie rooster and one hen stick together. One other is kind of a loner, last on pecking order, but befriended by another hen. They all get along, and roost tight together.
My thought for getting 2 more is giving the rooster more birds to bother with, so less pressure on the 3 hens I have now. They aren't mating yet.
I don't want to upset the cart with the four I have. I would love to hear other's experiences with introducing older hens into a new flock, and what issues may arise. I would first be sure they are healthy.

From my experience, my Rhode island reds weren't all that mean when I put in my Brahma bantams and red stars.
I've got one red left in a flock of twenty-five, and she acts as the peace keeper, oftentimes running around the yard to investigate and strange noises.
But I'd say go for it; since your flock is small, bullying won't be a problem with only 2 newbies.

Put them together and watch them for at least 30 minutes.
If they don’t fight, you’re probably good.

If they do, you have to do the see-no-touch method. You can place them in a sizable pen or crate in the coop for a week so they can coexist together, and maybe they’ll learn to get along.

Back
Top Bottom