Iowa blue used for sex link chicks?

A roo or two

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 16, 2013
Florida
I have seen where an Iowa Blue roo can be crossed with a NHR hen or white rock (whose carries the silver gene) hen and result in sex link chicks. Does anyone know if there are any other breeds they can be crossed with for sex links?

Looking for breeds that are dual purpose.

I have seen where an Iowa Blue roo can be crossed with a NHR hen or white rock (whose carries the silver gene) hen and result in sex link chicks. Does anyone know if there are any other breeds they can be crossed with for sex links?

yep the most famous is the black sex link its a rhodeisland red roo and a barred rock or Dominique hen they are a great layer and meat chicken

yep the most famous is the black sex link its a rhodeisland red roo and a barred rock or Dominique hen they are a great layer and meat chicken
I think you misread what I was asking, or maybe it is the way I have it worded? I am not asking about different breeds of chickens that make sex links, I am familiar with several of them and actually own RSLs.

What I am asking is what other breeds can be crossed with an Iowa Blue to make a sex link? All I can find on line are White rocks and NHR.

I don't think you can make a RSL with the Iowa Blue. RSL take a red rooster over a silver based hen.
I don however think you can use it in a BSL cross. Iowa Blue over a barred based hen (Barred Rock-Dominique-Barred Holland-Cuckoo Marans).

I don't think you can make a RSL with the Iowa Blue.  RSL take a red rooster over a silver based hen.
I don however think you can use it in a BSL cross.  Iowa Blue over a barred based hen (Barred Rock-Dominique-Barred Holland-Cuckoo Marans). 

Oh I know you can't make RSLs. They would be BSLs. Well that's good to know. I have a Dominique. I also have an EE that is barred like a dom. I wonder if she would sex link.

Just curious as I live in an area where Roos aren't always welcome and people like to know they are only buying pullets. Thanks to both of you for replying.

Last edited:
Oh I know you can't make RSLs. They would be BSLs. Well that's good to know. I have a Dominique. I also have an EE that is barred like a dom. I wonder if she would sex link.

Just curious as I live in an area where Roos aren't always welcome and people like to know they are only buying pullets. Thanks to both of you for replying.
I think that the EE would probably work, I'd try it anyway to see.

Last edited:
I think that the EE would probably work, I'd try it anyway to see.
Yep, doesn't hurt to try. I will just be sure when I do this I don't set my Dominique eggs at the same time, just in case the chicks look similar but aren't sex linked.

If you put an Iowa Blue cockbird over any barred hen, you'll get sex-linked chicks. The males will have a white dot on their heads. Now, all of our breed history states that one can breed an Iowa Blue cockbird over RIR or New Hamp, as well as White Rocks and Light Sussex. However, none of the current breeders have attempted this. The last person to have made a claim of creating sex-links from Iowa Blue cockbirds was W.C. Fenton of Fenton Hatchery in Strawberry Point, Ia. He sold his hatchery in 1972 and thus the sex-link creation came to an end. Currently we have no pictures of his sex-links.

The White Rocks (or even White Wyandottes) in my estimation will not breed sex links consistantly unless you know what is hidden under the recessive white that the Rocks are carrying. Iowa Blues also carry the Silver gene so what you're having to rely on is the Pattern gene (Pg) in the Iowa Blue to generate the sex-link. However, depending on what the Rock is carrying under the white, the pattern gene will either sex-link easily or will be impossible to sex-link. Again, results depending on what the Rock hens are carrying. And each hen could be carrying something different.

Using the red hens to create a sex-link would be much easier and reliable than using the White Rock. The chicks should segregate out with the males a golden color and the females a cleaner white color. Because of the Columbian gene in the RIR and NH, the offspring will grow out with some random and wierd black marking on the body, particulary the head, tail, and primaries. Keep in mind, the RIR carries mahogany and therefore could mess up your sex-link results if there aren't enough modifiers to keep them in check..........

Your best and safest bet to use the Iowa Blue for sex-link chicks is 1) any of the barred hens and 2) the New Hamps. Hope that helps out. One of our long term goals for the breed is to do some experiental breeding with the Iowa Blue and sex-link creation.

Oh, one more very important thing. If your cockbird is Birchen colored, you will not be able to produce the sex-links. You must use a Silver Iowa Blue male to produce the desired result. Historically, the Iowa Blue was the color of what has been coined by the breeders as the "Silver" variety. The "Birchen" coloration came about in the early 2000's (roughtly 2004), is currently an "non-standard" color within the Iowa Blue club, and is unusable genetically in the creation of sex-links. You could have success using a Birchen male over a barred female. However, the exaggerated black melanization found in the Birchen Iowa Blues could severely mess up any plans for using barred hens in a sex-link program.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your results. If you could take pictures and post them, they would be of great value to other Iowa Blue breeders.

Last edited:
If you put an Iowa Blue cockbird over any barred hen, you'll get sex-linked chicks. The males will have a white dot on their heads. Now, all of our breed history states that one can breed an Iowa Blue cockbird over RIR or New Hamp, as well as White Rocks and Light Sussex. However, none of the current breeders have attempted this. The last person to have made a claim of creating sex-links from Iowa Blue cockbirds was W.C. Fenton of Fenton Hatchery in Strawberry Point, Ia. He sold his hatchery in 1972 and thus the sex-link creation came to an end. Currently we have no pictures of his sex-links.

The White Rocks (or even White Wyandottes) in my estimation will not breed sex links consistantly unless you know what is hidden under the recessive white that the Rocks are carrying. Iowa Blues also carry the Silver gene so what you're having to rely on is the Pattern gene (Pg) in the Iowa Blue to generate the sex-link. However, depending on what the Rock is carrying under the white, the pattern gene will either sex-link easily or will be impossible to sex-link. Again, results depending on what the Rock hens are carrying. And each hen could be carrying something different.

Using the red hens to create a sex-link would be much easier and reliable than using the White Rock. The chicks should segregate out with the males a golden color and the females a cleaner white color. Because of the Columbian gene in the RIR and NH, the offspring will grow out with some random and wierd black marking on the body, particulary the head, tail, and primaries. Keep in mind, the RIR carries mahogany and therefore could mess up your sex-link results if there aren't enough modifiers to keep them in check..........

Your best and safest bet to use the Iowa Blue for sex-link chicks is 1) any of the barred hens and 2) the New Hamps. Hope that helps out. One of our long term goals for the breed is to do some experiental breeding with the Iowa Blue and sex-link creation.

Oh, one more very important thing. If your cockbird is Birchen colored, you will not be able to produce the sex-links. You must use a Silver Iowa Blue male to produce the desired result. Historically, the Iowa Blue was the color of what has been coined by the breeders as the "Silver" variety. The "Birchen" coloration came about in the early 2000's (roughtly 2004), is currently an "non-standard" color within the Iowa Blue club, and is unusable genetically in the creation of sex-links. You could have success using a Birchen male over a barred female. However, the exaggerated black melanization found in the Birchen Iowa Blues could severely mess up any plans for using barred hens in a sex-link program.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your results. If you could take pictures and post them, they would be of great value to other Iowa Blue breeders.

Hello there! I realize this is an old posting but I just recently had a hen come into my yard with 12 chicks. I believe she is an Iowa Blue hen. And some of the chicks appeared to look like black copper maran chicks which we have a rooster in the neighborhood that's looks like a BCM. Would these chicks be black sex links? I think they are about 2-1/2 to 3 weeks old now. Would it be too late to try to tell their gender now? Thank you. See pic pls.

Attachments

• IMG_20190509_103152.jpg
    IMG_20190509_103152.jpg
    593.5 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom