Iowa Blues

A very interesting thread, I have read of the Iowa Blues for years and was going to order some from Ideal but other things came up and I didnt. I am very interested in the preservation of Heritage Breeds.

The pictures here are of more IBs then I have seen up til now.

Are there any well known flocks or breeders now of them? I am quite curious now.

I am planning on getting some turkeys from Sandhill this spring so possibly could get a few of the IBs with them.

Did all the stock here come from Ideal or Sandhill ?

Hi Jake,
A few of us that know each other from the "IA Here" thread went in together and got some Iowa Blues from Both Privett and Ideal.

I found this article about Iowa Blue's.
http://www.helium.com/items/1496207-poultry-breed-facts-iowa-blue

In this article, the writer made a mistake on the gentleman's name, Kent Whealy. He is the director of Seed Saver's Exchange if I understand correctly.

Kari, didn't you get the guy's info that was showing them at the EIPA show this past fall? I'd be interested in talking with him myself.

Quote:

Hiya

I looked at the Ideal site and they are 'sold out' til 2012.

So I wrote Sandhill and asked them to add some Iowa Blues to my turkey order, I will post what that brings. I amnot getting my turkeys til probably mid or late May.

It seems that there is a lot of work to be done with them, locating a 'pure' strain may be impossible. My earliest recollection of any pics were of mixed flock, mostly black with roos having a lite white and black feathered head, and some hens having black to lite 'blue' bodies but mostly black with an occasional white feather here and there.

If I do get some I will gladly swap with others . I also have RC RIRs, and PW, and mostly use small pens for trios and pairs. So I would prefer to do the same with the IBs.

Who is the other breeder other then Sandhill and Ideal? Privett? Big flock? Breeder? Hatchery?

Anyone have an idea of how many there are right now?

Yes, Kent is the founder of the Seed Savers Exchange, and strong supporter of heritage everything. I have been a member for years. And also the ALBC.

If I can get some birds from other sources I will rear them separate so I can see what we have in the breed.

Good luck and keep those pics and info coming.

Jake

Sandhill accidently sent me an Iowa Blue with my Black Orpington order last fall. I tried to sell him on Craigslist and had a breeder from MN contact me wondering if I wanted to come to his farm and see his Iowa Blues. He is very proud of them! Maybe he would be willing to ship hatching eggs. I ended up keeping my Iowa Blue rooster and he is my favorite. He doesn't attack me (unlike my lavender orp) and is great with the ladies. He loves finding treats and calling them over to share. His tail seems different than others I've seen and he doesn't have any white on his chest.
He is 6 months old:
60651_2011-04-01_09-01-58_218.jpg

Last edited:
Black Brook thats a very nice looking rooster. His coloring is typical so far of the IBs I have seen photos of, speaks well of the Sandhill birds.

Where are you in Wisc?

I am in NC MI.

The photo agrees very well with a photo I saw in one of the Storeys books, I think its the mini encyclopedia of pountry breeds. The roo in there had just a few more white feathers on the neck but I am assuming it is older then this one, the hens shown have more bluish gray then the ones shown here but again that could be the age difference.

Its going to be interesting to see how yours develop.

That is a very nice rooster.

Last edited:
Hurley started another thread on the Iowa Blues also, visit it and post, two threads are better then one and one is better then none.

He mentioned starting a Breed Fanciers Club which to me seems like a good idea, I have been searching a couple other forums looking for more information about them. And breeders.

Found some Iowa Blues at our local feed store this past spring and bought all they had... 9 total - including 8 hens and 1 rooster.

Our Iowa Blue roo (spring 2011 hatch)
DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

Iowa Blue hen (spring 2011 hatch)
DSC_0025.jpg

Hi

any updates on how your IBs are doing, what numbers that you have now?

I moved from MI to Wa, which changed all of my chicken plans, I still have my Icelandics, and want to add the Iowa Blues.

Jake

Back
Top Bottom