Irritated eye possible MG?

ABakes09

Songster
Jul 1, 2021
I have a 12 week old pullet who had coccidosis a couple weeks ago. Have CORID she got better. The next day her left eye was irritated and seemed pushed back slightly. Put the terramycin ointment on her eye for 7 days with no change. After a couple of weeks like this she started getting some bubbles. Not constantly and she keeps it opened more now. She also sounds a little horse, but there are no other respiratory symptoms. No nasal discharge. They do sneeze occasionally but that’s it. What’s my best course of action for treatment. Her breathing sounds normal. No wheezing no congestion. Mostly acts normal but does seem more tired and reserved than she use to. None of the others in the flock have any issues other than the occasional sneezing.

Attachments

• 1BAB56D6-324A-4ADE-95EF-6175AE5FB4C0.jpeg
    1BAB56D6-324A-4ADE-95EF-6175AE5FB4C0.jpeg
    425.8 KB · Views: 26
  • AC983745-A27C-405E-9BBF-75879558A535.jpeg
    AC983745-A27C-405E-9BBF-75879558A535.jpeg
    426.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 33D9C34D-AAA6-4A0A-B781-EA932BED62A6.jpeg
    33D9C34D-AAA6-4A0A-B781-EA932BED62A6.jpeg
    435.5 KB · Views: 12
I had/have a similar issue with one of mine ... Serama hatched with the watery/teary eyes no other symptoms. Long story short ... Treated as MG; separated, treated with VetRX then with ATB (Amoxicillin + Tylosin + Bromhexine) but eyes kept tearing. Took her to the Vet, treated for an allergy, then it's "try this", last resort would treat her with Baytril.

I started wiping her eyes with Vetrycin & applying Triple Antibiotic, it's been 2 months and it's the "best" remedy yet. I stopped the Vetrycin but apply the TA in the morning (was doing 2x day), 99% of the time her eyes are dry in the mornings. She does sleep in her cage/house but spends the days out in the patio brooder.

Left her in the brooder overnite once but the overnite chill got to her, next morning she was teary and discovered pine shavings irritate her eyes. She's older now so will be trying overnite in the brooder again. Not so concerned about it being MG anymore although it's in the back of my mind still. She still not with the "flock", she's fine alone & gets along with my dogs in the patio.

I had/have a similar issue with one of mine ... Serama hatched with the watery/teary eyes no other symptoms. Long story short ... Treated as MG; separated, treated with VetRX then with ATB (Amoxicillin + Tylosin + Bromhexine) but eyes kept tearing. Took her to the Vet, treated for an allergy, then it's "try this", last resort would treat her with Baytril.

I started wiping her eyes with Vetrycin & applying Triple Antibiotic, it's been 2 months and it's the "best" remedy yet. I stopped the Vetrycin but apply the TA in the morning (was doing 2x day), 99% of the time her eyes are dry in the mornings. She does sleep in her cage/house but spends the days out in the patio brooder.

Left her in the brooder overnite once but the overnite chill got to her, next morning she was teary and discovered pine shavings irritate her eyes. She's older now so will be trying overnite in the brooder again. Not so concerned about it being MG anymore although it's in the back of my mind still. She still not with the "flock", she's fine alone & gets along with my dogs in the patio.
I get it these chicken illnesses can be confusing and funky. I thought it was just an injury but when I saw bubbles I panicked slightly. Bought Tylan-50 tonight. Think I will try it orally twice a day for the 5 days and see if it helps her. The dosing is so different depending on which source I’m looking at. She’s a 12week old pullet so that makes it even more difficult and probably a couple of lbs. She got about 0.3-0.4mLs tonight. I found this from someone on here in a past forum that posts a lot. I used their technique. I’ll keep you posted

Attachments

• 3082FE16-9696-4E77-B523-D5795F6BE08E.png
    3082FE16-9696-4E77-B523-D5795F6BE08E.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
How's she doing?
Poquito's been doing alot better, I moved her out to the brooder in the patio 24/7 on the the 1st of May. Still applying Triple Antibiotic in the mornings and she haven't had any issues. Still in doubt if it's URI/MG or an allergy but do notice when it's chilly, her eyes tear. She did have bubbles in her left eye (usually her right) the other day, wiped with Vetrycin and applied Triple Antibiotic in the morning and evening, next day since she's been good. YES very confusing and worst when the Vet won't confirm ... There's no testing to be done here.

How's she doing?
Poquito's been doing alot better, I moved her out to the brooder in the patio 24/7 on the the 1st of May. Still applying Triple Antibiotic in the mornings and she haven't had any issues. Still in doubt if it's URI/MG or an allergy but do notice when it's chilly, her eyes tear. She did have bubbles in her left eye (usually her right) the other day, wiped with Vetrycin and applied Triple Antibiotic in the morning and evening, next day since she's been good. YES very confusing and worst when the Vet won't confirm ... There's no testing to be done here.
Glad yours is doing better. We finished 5 days of oral tylan-50. I noticed on day 2 or 3 of it she was having a lot of intestinal shedding. Upon closer inspection I found round worms in a lot of her poop. My only guess is the antibiotic that I was giving her was killing them off. So I started everyone on 5 days of oral safeguard (via lemon poppyseed muffins🤣). However, she is doing great. She is acting normal. Eye is still irritated looking and not normal but I haven’t noticed any bubbles in the last couple of days. From everyone I’ve consulted with if she had MG or coriza she would be lethargic and that was never the case. I hope these babies continue to improve. Momma needs a break 🤣🤣🤣

Glad to hear she's doing better. It's stressful trying to figure out what we dealing with, we just do our best and pray alot.

I've finally gotten over the URI/MG concern with Poquito. The person I got her from, says she don't have any issues with her flock & wouldn't have made it this long without getting deathly ill. She'll be 20wks this weekend, doing great ... Waiting for an egg :fl

Back
Top Bottom