Is 2 roosters too many?

atcavi8or

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2019
Tamworth, NH
I ordered 15 pullets and 1 rooster. An extra puller was included plus a “surprise” chick which apparently is a rooster. They are about 7 weeks and I see them already numbing breasts with each other. I’m assuming one has to go?

It totally depends. Some roosters don't care, others will fight until death.
I have two males, one older one young, and so far they are buddies;
and I don't even have as many females as you.
This could change at anytime, though.
Your best bet is to wait and see how things go, and to be prepared to separate one or both of them from the flock if necessary.
Do you really want/need the roosters?

It totally depends. Some roosters don't care, others will fight until death.
I have two males, one older one young, and so far they are buddies;
and I don't even have as many females as you.
This could change at anytime, though.
Your best bet is to wait and see how things go, and to be prepared to separate one or both of them from the flock if necessary.
Do you really want/need the roosters?
I wanted 1 rooster just because I like the sound of a rooster crowing. I have no real need for 2. Eventually I would like to try my hand at hatching my own chicks but I have a lot to learn about raising them as this is my first flock ever.

I wanted 1 rooster just because I like the sound of a rooster crowing. I have no real need for 2. Eventually I would like to try my hand at hatching my own chicks but I have a lot to learn about raising them as this is my first flock ever.
Fair nuff :p
Well, if you only really want one, you could let them grow up a bit more,
and pick the better one to keep between them both, personality & breed-wise.
On raising chicks, what you should do depends a lot on whether or not
you care about making pure-breed babies, or barnyard mixes.

To learn about rooster behavior, I recommend you read Shadrach's article:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

You're sure you have two males? They are a bit young.

Fair nuff :p
Well, if you only really want one, you could let them grow up a bit more,
and pick the better one to keep between them both, personality & breed-wise.
On raising chicks, what you should do depends a lot on whether or not
you care about making pure-breed babies, or barnyard mixes.

To learn about rooster behavior, I recommend you read Shadrach's article:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

You're sure you have two males? They are a bit young.

Thank you for the tips. I will give it time and watch them and definitely read that article. I’m not positive I have 2 yet. I know for a fact the one NH Red that I ordered is a cockerel. The other one has shuttle behaviors but I don’t know for sure. It is the only one that tries to bite when I reach for it, but then it lets me hold it and climbs on my lap. It is the only Golden Laced Wyandotte and looks neat. The only purebreds I could hatch would be NH Reds as I have 3 pullets of those. The rest are other breeds. I probably wouldn’t care about purebreds.

Thank you for the tips. I will give it time and watch them and definitely read that article. I’m not positive I have 2 yet. I know for a fact the one NH Red that I ordered is a cockerel. The other one has shuttle behaviors but I don’t know for sure. It is the only one that tries to bite when I reach for it, but then it lets me hold it and climbs on my lap. It is the only Golden Laced Wyandotte and looks neat. The only purebreds I could hatch would be NH Reds as I have 3 pullets of those. The rest are other breeds. I probably wouldn’t care about purebreds.
If you upload pictures of the two suspected males,
I'm sure I or someone else on here can help you guess their sexes :).
Behavior is also something to look for,
but at this age those behaviors aren't in full swing yet.
Chest bumping and little squabbles can be done by pullets as well as cockerels.
The crowing, wing-shuffle-dance, tidbitting, and mounting
are male behaviors that show up over time as they mature.

If you upload pictures of the two suspected males,
I'm sure I or someone else on here can help you guess their sexes :).
Behavior is also something to look for,
but at this age those behaviors aren't in full swing yet.
Chest bumping and little squabbles can be done by pullets as well as cockerels.
The crowing, wing-shuffle-dance, tidbitting, and mounting
are male behaviors that show up over time as they mature.

Attached are a couple pictures. One is the NH Red which is obvious it is a cockerel as it has a much larger comb than the others. The other one I’m not sure about.

Attachments

• C4171F28-582A-4645-BFAE-2B175CF8F885.jpeg
    C4171F28-582A-4645-BFAE-2B175CF8F885.jpeg
    545.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 46C5FFF1-D427-4BA1-B042-49F058CC1129.jpeg
    46C5FFF1-D427-4BA1-B042-49F058CC1129.jpeg
    893.8 KB · Views: 13
A lot will depend on your set up. Two juvenile cockerels are going to be considerably different than an older bird and a younger bird. I like a multi-generational flock, I think it is more of a true chicken society and there fore tends to stay in balance. A all flock mate flock, gets out of balance for a while because the roosters out grow the pullets, become sexually interested and are big enough to be real bullies.

I would strongly suggest having a second set up ready to go, and a chicken hook or net to separate fighting birds. Maybe you will never need them, but they should be at hand. Things can go south very fast. Pullets often get run ragged with young roos, so having a place where you can separate the birds until the pullets are laying may help a great deal.

A lot also depends on if you are more farm like or more backyard like. Roosters take more room IMO. If you are really in a coop/run then two roosters might be too much. One rooster might be too much.

There really are no directions that if you do this and that, you get a perfect gentleman. Sometimes neither will work. Do be aware if you have children under the age of 6.

MRs K

They both look like cockerels to me.

I would keep them both for a while. If one becomes mean toward you, then eat him. If one starts really doing damage to the other, then of course one must go. But if they want to ruffle feathers and bump chests every few minutes all day long, just let them: at least they are not challenging you while they're practice-fighting with each other!

Back
Top Bottom