Is 20% protein too much for pullets and laying hens?

I feed Kalmbach's 20% non GMO all flock to my ducks and chickens with gray flaked oyster shells on the side and they free range. Molts go nicely, eggs are a always a decent size with a nice shell thickness and I've had no health issues besides the occasional bumble foot.

I feed Kalmbach's 20% non GMO all flock to my ducks and chickens with gray flaked oyster shells on the side and they free range. Molts go nicely, eggs are a always a decent size with a nice shell thickness and I've had no health issues besides the occasional bumble foot.
I wish I could find some flaked oyster shells at my local feed store. As of now, I’ll just have to make do with the tiny, rock shaped ones. I’ve tried crushing them up a bit but it doesn’t work that well.

I'm also a Purina Flock Raiser fan..I have five flocks with roos and I raise ducks...Purina is quite high here 27+ dollars a 50# bag but it has 60ppm niacin required for ducks..and it is a higher protein..the crumbles are easy for chicks and ducklings to comsume...so hatch to maturity..same feed. This is my year round feed for my ducks and roos...makes life a lil easier...I do feed a 16percent layer feed, too as its cost is a third of the flock raiser. ...it's the morning feed for hens..oyster shell provided for free choice.. then afternoon feeding is all flock. I love the results and have fed this for years.

I feed 20% - 22% protein. Nutrena Naturewise All Flock Pellets, Purina Flock Raiser, & Nutrena Meat Bird for added protein for molting season, & to help fatten up any birds for butchering.

@U_Stormcrow, what's the maximum protein level that is safe for chickens?
Going by what I've read, 50% is dangerous. Keep it around 20% and you should be fine.
Moderation is the key word here and nearly everywhere.

I'll add further that studies have demonstrated that increasing protein levels from 16% to 18-20% in mature layers IS associated with reduced mortality rates, increased frequency of lay, and increased egg size in production hens. So why is the typical layer feed just 16% protein? Because those increases are generally on the order of 1-3%. That's 6+/- "extra" eggs a year (in a bird that may lay 300), and less than a gram, on average, of additional egg weight. The costs of the extra protein in the feed far exceeds the value of the added production. Going from, say 20% protein to 24% protein generally does NOT result in statistically significant levels of increased lay, does result in another couple % increased egg size, and a massive increase in cost. and if your birds aren't production layers? Your every other day layer might add 2 eggs to the pile in a year, and nobody notices a 1g difference in egg size w/o a scale.

So why do I (and many other BYCers) recommend 20% over 16%?

Because the increased cost for out (typically) small flocks is only a few dollars a year, and we are generally much more concerned with the long term health and comfort (shorter, less stressful molts!, marginally better climate tolerance) of our birds than commercial flocks where 3-5% mortality in one year old birds is considered a cost of doing business .

Well, those are my reasons. Others may haver reason of their own.
A hen will never increase her egg production. She is born with however many eggs she will lay. I don't want my hens laying 7 days a week. I do feed 20% Kalmbach Flock raiser this winter, I may continue in the spring, but my hens get out free ranging 4 or so hours a day.

A hen will never increase her egg production. She is born with however many eggs she will lay. I don't want my hens laying 7 days a week. I do feed 20% Kalmbach Flock raiser this winter, I may continue in the spring, but my hens get out free ranging 4 or so hours a day.
I've had better(Increased) egg Production with the feed I feed. None, of my hens lay eggs 7 days a week, I keep Heritage types. Whoever does lay that day, I get an egg from a different bird who laid that day.

Back
Top Bottom