Is a 1-2 male to female ratio ok?

I'm not sure. He seems to run around a lot and step over them if they are sitting down in his way. I think he annoys them slightly but he definitely doesn't harass them often enough for it to be a problem.
I'd wait it out. If he's not being mean to them then I don't think it's an issue. If he annoys them really bad then they'll take care of him Lol

I'd wait it out. If he's not being mean to them then I don't think it's an issue. If he annoys them really bad then they'll take care of him Lol
Just 4 more weeks until I can get more. I'm getting them in rare fees. I'm specifically excited for the pearl ones. Then when they are 4-5 weeks old I'll move some females in with the others.

Typically when I hatch I get close to 50/50 male and female. You’ll likely gain some extra ladies but you’ll almost certainly get more males making your ratio worse.

My very first hatch had 7 chicks, only 1 hen. Bought 20 or so chicks straight run. Ended up with 14 males and 13 females.
Lol I know most people have this problem but I was so lucky on my first hatch I got 5 females and 1 male.

Adding more to a cage that size might not solve your issues and may introduce new ones. The birds have nowhere to run or hide from each other.

Also, if you intend to hatch your own chicks you really do need to consider how you'll handle the males—killing them yourself is often kinder than sending them to an unknown fate.

Back
Top Bottom