Is Alfafa hay or Orchard grass ok?

chickenlady08

Songster
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Shore, VA
I have found a farmer who is selling alfafa and orchard grass alot cheaper than the livestock stores sells it for. Is it ok for my 2 goats to eat the alfafa or orchard grass all the time like they would eat Timothy hay? I have gotten them Timothy and Orchard before and they have been fine. I just hear that Alfaf is richer and can cause bloat (which I most certainly don't want this at all)

And also my kids have 2 mini rex rabbits, is it ok to give them the Orchard grass or Alfafa hay all the time as well? It would surely be cheaper to buy it in bulk than to spend almost $20 on 1 bail of the livestock price hay.

Thanks

Alfalfa is way different then plain grass hay, they are not the same. As far as horses go orchard or timothy is better particularly for the easy keepers that alfalfa may be too rich and founder them or make them obese. But people do feed all three types to horses.

As far as your goats, if the hay is clean, bright, not moldy dusty or otherwise nasty looking and cheaper yup I would buy that instead and slowly switch them over. I think I would try to stick with the orchard though....I dont know about goats and bloat.

For goats and rabbits both I would feed the Orchard grass, not the alfalfa. Unless your goats are being milked. That's the only time we fed a little alfalfa was to milking goats, otherwise a good grass hay only.

And rabbits especially should not be eating alfalfa hay all the time. Way, way more protein and calcium then they need and it can really cause urinary tract problems. Actually it can have the same results in male goats as well.

The orchard grass hay is perfect for both of them.

Quote:
Thank you thank you thank you!

My feedstore owner said orchard grass was fine for them but I wanted to be certain before I caused any issues with the health of my babies.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom