Is an electric scalder worth it?

I wouldn't spend $300 to build a scalder for 22 birds - $13.64 per bird for hot water!

If you plan on doing many more, it might make sense. Otherwise an open fire or a propane burner will do the job. The propane has the advantage of being turned up quickly as the water gets cool.

Oh and for constant temp., the feathers only know how hot the water is when they are dunked!!
tongue.png

Depending on the nuber of birds in your future.

We did the auto plucker, and use a turkey frier for scalding.

Works well, and all you do it fire it up as needed to keep the temps in line.

Good luck.

I just purchased a thing I attach to my turkey frier that will keep the temp constant from the gas - which is needed when doing a larger number because if the water gets lower, it gets harder to monitor and control the temperature (I butcher 10-20 per week by myself in season and once I start "rolling")

Since it's 4-H Fair week, I'm taking a week off from butchering and of course my cool new gadget just arrived so I haven't tested it yet - but will let you know (it was only $30 including shipping)

I have the auto plucker - awesome device that I'm now on my 2nd year using.

Another option I might look into - an electric turkey frier!! They have them - so why bother with a $300 scalder when $100 or even less will get you an electric turkey frier? Water will heat up in that just fine
smile.png
I'm thinking I want something like that for the holidays when I do turkeys...... but I'm still debating.

For hand plucking, probably not. I would be looking for a turkey fryer to heat your water with. Around here fryers can be purchased at a garage sale or auction cheap, or borrowed from a friend. If they don't want their pot used for chicken scalding, get the burner, and find some other water holding container to dunk the birds in. A wood fire would work if you are good at it, but I would be spending quite a bit of time messing with it trying to keep the water at the proper temperature even for hand plucking. For a plucker, the temperature needs to be pretty consistent to reduce breaking wings and tearing skin. Neither should be a problem plucking by hand.

The first major money spent should be on a plucker, in my opinion. So much time savings, and not much cost if you are a good scrounger. Then investing in a scalder would make more sense.

This is an old thread, but...

Having used both a turkey fryer (I have 6) and an electric scalder, I much prefer the latter. Mine is a fiberglass utility sink with a hot water heater element that uses a thermostat to achieve the desired temp. I use a bucket warmer to help out the hot water heater element to get it up to the right temp, then let the thermostat handle it from there. Keeps the temps at about what I need it to be without messing with a burner with variable heat.

Ha, missed the age of the thread, but thanks for the info Buster, I have the elements, may have to rig one up and see how it works.

Back
Top Bottom