Just ordered some new supplies

Melontine

Songster
5 Years
May 26, 2019
Maine
It's the dead of night and I hear my numerous roosters crowing. They're such funny guys, but I doubt my neighbors think so.
I've been having less and less time to handle things myself so thought I'd try and figure out a new method of butchering.
I finally ordered a restraint cone, have been wanting one of those for a while.
I ordered a scalder and a plucker, I've never plucked any of my birds, only skinned them (but the skins the best part!). I'm hoping this will make the process a bit easier on me and make for more meat.
It's definitely an investment, and one I hope pays off. I think we definitely have enough chickens for it.

My last experience with butchering didn't go great.
I got pooped on, guess they were eating something after I took away their food.
I messed up somewhere in cutting the vein because he didn't die. I ended up crying begging him to just stop living. I hated seeing him like that, throat open but refusing to quit. I never wanted my birds to suffer, let alone be the cause of it.
But it's part of keeping chickens and I need to get better.
So new tools, sharp knives, clean workspace, re-watching videos again and finding new ones to relearn the details, new restraint cone, new scalding/plucking the birds, and moving the coop to concrete so I can be certain they won't poop on me.
I'm hopeful the next time will be smoother.

Gotta give these guys a clean death and get some nasty chicken for my freezer.
Here's hoping my new supplies get in before the snow. Gotta get to work so these loudmouths aren't here through the winter.

i probably sound weird saying this, (i am weird so it should) but why exactly are you butchering them if you can't stand seeing them suffer? i can't stand that either.

Giving them a quick humane death I consider palatable for the sake of continuing this hobby and getting meat from my birds. With them restrained upside down, they’re supposed to pass out and not have to feel it.
A prolonged gruesome one though… yeah, not a pleasant experience for anyone, least of all the poor bird.

Giving them a quick humane death I consider palatable for the sake of continuing this hobby and getting meat from my birds. With them restrained upside down, they’re supposed to pass out and not have to feel it.
A prolonged gruesome one though… yeah, not a pleasant experience for anyone, least of all the poor bird.
yeah ok. if you want/need a rotisserie, you get one. understandable.

i hate picturing that thing staying alive like that :/

Sure way I would recommend a set of bypass loopers. Yes I have done the throat slit, also axe and stump, the loopers are by far the best method. It’s does not fail. These are the sharpest ones I’ve found. Drop in cone pull head out the bottom and snip. Will make your experience a lot less stressful. You can see my homemade cones have been around for awhile so yes I am speaking from experience.
1723763D-D2F6-4967-AFFD-EA02B6DDDDB4.png

Oh I use a cut up kitty litter jug for a cone. Secured with fender washers and screws.
KIMG0330_01.JPG

A turkey fryer pot for scalding. I turn the house water heater All the way up, comes out 155 to 160f. Put 2 gallons in the pot to preheat while I catch birds. Dump it and put 2 gallons in, a few drops of dawn soap, carry out, bring another 2 gallons, dunk 2 birds until wing feathers pull easy. Put those 2 in plucker. I use fresh water for every 2, because I am by myself. It cools down and looks nasty anyway lol.... I couldn't keep the fryer temp right using the burner. Need someone to keep an eye on the temp.

i probably sound weird saying this, (i am weird so it should) but why exactly are you butchering them if you can't stand seeing them suffer? i can't stand that either.
If you haven't, or are not interested in, slaughtering birds for meat....
...maybe the meat birds forum is not for you.
No need to 'shame' folks who have a different outlook than you do.

Back
Top Bottom