Is anyone feeding only sprouts (or fodder) to their poultry?

RainbowRabbits

Songster
6 Years
Oct 28, 2017
Is anyone feeding only sprouts (or fodder) to their poultry? New country organics has an unmilled food that I want to try sprouting for feed.

If you’re feeding your poultry this, how are they doing on it? Do they prefer this over fermented feed? How’s their smell and health? I had rabbits ages ago and when I took them off a grain feed they smelled way better. Im curious to test if the same is true for ducks.

Just wanted to update incase anyone else ever wants to try this but it looks like Justin Rhodes sprouts his feed during the winter (although his is homemade).

Very interesting!! I know ducks in the wild eat a lot of plant life so I'm curious to try this.

Here's the link for anyone that's interested!!

"When you mix your own chicken feed with whole grains, you don’t have to worry about loosing it’s nutrients. It will store forever-ish. I soak it to break down the anti-nutrients (makes it 15% more digestible) and during the winter I sprout it for a live food source. "

That was my thought as well. But I found a feed from New Country Organics that can be sprouted: https://www.newcountryorganics.com/...ee-poultry-layer-feed-40-pounds-unmilled.html
I don't see where it says it can be sprouted. I sprout wheat and they love it, but I also feed fermented feed. I've never tried to just feed sprouted seeds. I tried growing longer than just sprouting the seed, but always ran into problems with mold sooner or later. I don't know if just sprouting one kind of seed would be nutritious enough.

I recall reading sometime in spring that somebody rinsed their sprouts with peroxide to eliminate mold. I do not recall the name of the poster.

You can sprout most seeds you can buy commercially, except hemp (because, nobody likes a high chicken...LOL)
cracked grains do not sprout - naturally.
I generally just sprout until the roots emerge, no greens. I don't have the patience. I did it more often for my budgies. I have not done it but once or twice for the chickens yet.

Back
Top Bottom