Is anyone listening?

I want to win the lottery so that I can do something really useful. I want to teach salmon to swim up th Arkansas river to where I live!!! I lived in Seattle for 5 years and what I miss most is the salmon. Oh well.

When we were raising our kids, I always felt guilty. I had been disabled when they were small and Lydia had to take on the role of 'breadwinner'. We moved to a small town where her parents lived so that they could help, and because the cost of living was less. We started the 'farm life' that I loved. Even though I couldn't work at a regular job, I could raise animals, grow veg, and take care of the kids.

When they were small, things were a little easier. There were a few times like when my daughter wanted to get together with a friend from preschool whos mother found out who we were and didn't want her to associate with 'our kind'. (In later years Lydia had her in mandatory counciling, who knew!) I couldn't buy the kids fancy toys or new clothes, they often were from Goodwill. I would find them playing in the dirt with sticks and rocks having the time of their lives! Their friends would come over and the first thing they would ask was "Do you have Nintendo?" The kids would then take them on a journey of climbing trees, waving sticks, throwing rocks in the water, feeding chickens,etc. When they were in high school there was more peer pressure on clothes, but they found their ways around it. Neither one got into very much trouble growing up, I'm glad to say. They stayed kind, loving, respectful and helpful to this day.

Now that they are grown, do they regret the poverty? Not at all! My daughter works with the school system evaluating preschool kids. She says that there is nothing like "giving a kid some rocks and sticks and letting them play in the dirt to jump-start their creativity!" They tell their friends that when they were little, their Da (me) taught them to experience nature with ALL their senses, and that they should get their kids away from the computer games once in awhile and take them out into the wild and put on their "sharp eyes and sharp ears" to see what they can find! I don't feel like I did so bad now.

Lydia has a friend that still lives in Denver. She lives the super hectic high stress life. She calls Lydia to talk for hours and comes to visit occasionally. She always says the same thing, "This is the only time I can feel calm!" Her health is a wreck, so what is she doing that to herself for? What does a person gain if they acquire the whole world, but loses their soul...?

Every evening I go into the paddock and it down with my sheep. They crowd around me, some wanting serious petting, some wanting to nibble my hat or sniff my ears, everyone gets some time. Yes I also get 'llama kisses'. I ponder how I have 2 wonderful adult kids with good lives, a cool grandson, a dear wife that I love like crazy and loves me back! I feel at one with creation, and my Creator. I'm very happy with this.

Simple is good.

Right now I wish ther was a 'smiley' that's just wiping a tear from his eye!

~S

I want to win the lottery so that I can do something really useful. I want to teach salmon to swim up th Arkansas river to where I live!!! I lived in Seattle for 5 years and what I miss most is the salmon. Oh well.

When we were raising our kids, I always felt guilty. I had been disabled when they were small and Lydia had to take on the role of 'breadwinner'. We moved to a small town where her parents lived so that they could help, and because the cost of living was less. We started the 'farm life' that I loved. Even though I couldn't work at a regular job, I could raise animals, grow veg, and take care of the kids.

When they were small, things were a little easier. There were a few times like when my daughter wanted to get together with a friend from preschool whos mother found out who we were and didn't want her to associate with 'our kind'. (In later years Lydia had her in mandatory counciling, who knew!) I couldn't buy the kids fancy toys or new clothes, they often were from Goodwill. I would find them playing in the dirt with sticks and rocks having the time of their lives! Their friends would come over and the first thing they would ask was "Do you have Nintendo?" The kids would then take them on a journey of climbing trees, waving sticks, throwing rocks in the water, feeding chickens,etc. When they were in high school there was more peer pressure on clothes, but they found their ways around it. Neither one got into very much trouble growing up, I'm glad to say. They stayed kind, loving, respectful and helpful to this day.

Now that they are grown, do they regret the poverty? Not at all! My daughter works with the school system evaluating preschool kids. She says that there is nothing like "giving a kid some rocks and sticks and letting them play in the dirt to jump-start their creativity!" They tell their friends that when they were little, their Da (me) taught them to experience nature with ALL their senses, and that they should get their kids away from the computer games once in awhile and take them out into the wild and put on their "sharp eyes and sharp ears" to see what they can find! I don't feel like I did so bad now.

Lydia has a friend that still lives in Denver. She lives the super hectic high stress life. She calls Lydia to talk for hours and comes to visit occasionally. She always says the same thing, "This is the only time I can feel calm!" Her health is a wreck, so what is she doing that to herself for? What does a person gain if they acquire the whole world, but loses their soul...?

Every evening I go into the paddock and it down with my sheep. They crowd around me, some wanting serious petting, some wanting to nibble my hat or sniff my ears, everyone gets some time. Yes I also get 'llama kisses'. I ponder how I have 2 wonderful adult kids with good lives, a cool grandson, a dear wife that I love like crazy and loves me back! I feel at one with creation, and my Creator. I'm very happy with this.

Simple is good.

Right now I wish ther was a 'smiley' that's just wiping a tear from his eye!

~S

goodpost.gif
clap.gif

Biddies, my own personal twist on that one: I'm sure I had a good reason when I did that...but for the life of me I can't imagine what it might have been...what WAS I thinking??!"

Hope you got over that "guilt thing", Scott. Personally, I don't think it matters who wins the bread as long as there's food on the table. And I've never seen that kids with lots of stuff are any happier or better adjusted than kids without. I mean...how often do you see kids, after a ridiculoulsy "loot ful" Christmas having more fun with the boxes a couple hours later?? My favorite aunt when I was a kid had 2 big ole drawers in the kitchen...the lower ones so the kids could get into them. They were filled with odds and ends of pots, lids, tupperware, wooden spoons...and we had the absolute BEST time with that stuff...and our imaginations.

Even with my own son, who's 33 this month I saw it first hand. I was a single mother and we didn't have a lot of money...I never had to worry about a roof or food, but there wasn't much for "extras". He was the last of his friends, by about 3 years, to get any sort of video game thingy and it didn't warp him in any way. We managed to have him play baseball in the summers and hockey in the winters and every bit of equipment he had was used...and he didn't seem to suffer from it. Even at age 13 he thought it was silly for his peers to have $100 shoes when his $10 ones were perfectly comfy and functional. He's now a happy, generous adult of whom I'm very proud.

Biddies, my own personal twist on that one: I'm sure I had a good reason when I did that...but for the life of me I can't imagine what it might have been...what WAS I thinking??!"

Hope you got over that "guilt thing", Scott. Personally, I don't think it matters who wins the bread as long as there's food on the table. And I've never seen that kids with lots of stuff are any happier or better adjusted than kids without. I mean...how often do you see kids, after a ridiculoulsy "loot ful" Christmas having more fun with the boxes a couple hours later?? My favorite aunt when I was a kid had 2 big ole drawers in the kitchen...the lower ones so the kids could get into them. They were filled with odds and ends of pots, lids, tupperware, wooden spoons...and we had the absolute BEST time with that stuff...and our imaginations.

Even with my own son, who's 33 this month I saw it first hand. I was a single mother and we didn't have a lot of money...I never had to worry about a roof or food, but there wasn't much for "extras". He was the last of his friends, by about 3 years, to get any sort of video game thingy and it didn't warp him in any way. We managed to have him play baseball in the summers and hockey in the winters and every bit of equipment he had was used...and he didn't seem to suffer from it. Even at age 13 he thought it was silly for his peers to have $100 shoes when his $10 ones were perfectly comfy and functional. He's now a happy, generous adult of whom I'm very proud.

Well be glad. We did get DS a nintendo and regret it to this day. He is addicted to video games. Even though he's married and in the military. When we skype with the GK's I can see him with the controller in his hand sometimes. I hate them games to hell.

Oh dear...what a shame. They CAN be addicting, that's for sure. Fortunately Andy was more of a jock. He played a LOT at first but gradually tapered off to a reasonable amount. Between games and practice, he just flat didn't have a lot of time. He still plays some, but not to the extent where it interferes with anything. Whew! Dodged the bullet on that one.

I always find it hilarious (and sad) when some of my friends look at me strange when I'm so excited about the littlest thing about my chickens or garden. (Like I just realized the other day my 11 week old chicks now sound like grown chickens - I miss their contented chirps.) Or how I can be so upbeat after working my tail off outside, getting carried away by mosquitoes, building something I could otherwise buy or have someone else do. The same friends that will sit in front of a computer and play Warcraft, where they pretend to grow stuff, pretend build things, and pretend to be productive. And they're all kinds of happy about that virtual stuff and I'm the weirdo looking at them like "Come again?"

Its not just the food that's becoming scary artificial - we're becoming a society that eats fake food while having fake relationships, patting ourselves on the back over fake accomplishments.

It is sad. It's like this texting stuff on the phone. I mean...you have a phone...they have a phone...TALK to them! It seems like people are becoming more and more isolated all the time. I think that's why we see so much violence and rudeness and discourtesy...nobody seems to really connect with other people or to themselves, really. :(

I'm 31 and I feel like an 'old timer' because I look at people my age and just shake my head. I have a former co-worker whose Kindergartener had a cell phone, but she didn't want me to let the cat out of the bag that chicken nuggets come from....CHICKENS!
barnie.gif

Good grief! Prolly showing my age, but I remember taking off from the house in the morning and not coming back till dinner time...OMG...unreachable for hours??? LOL. But it's a different world today...we didn't have to worry about predators and all that stuff back then. Some of the "advances" have been wonderful, but certainly not all of them. It's a shame.

Back
Top Bottom