Is anyone raising rabbits in a colony?

My colony has warm sheltered places that I thought were appropriate for adult rabbits to get out of any wind. It is inside an outbuilding that has three walls and a roof, so it has some wind protection and is out of the rain and snow (other than what might blow in). The rest of the colony is hardware cloth. I've used a deep litter method, started with several inches of wood mulch from using a chipper/shredder on evergreen branches topped by about half a bale of straw. They dig and mix everything together with their droppings. I did a major muckout before I left for vacation and added more wood chips and straw but I don't know if that qualifies as "warm and dry". I've added more straw on and around the little shelter that the kits are housed in.

I could try to wrap the hardware cloth with heavy weight plastic, like what I use for my green house to provide more protection and/or hand a heat lamp out there.

Here's a photo I took last summer when I completed the run. I'll try to take a few photos of the kit's lodging this afternoon and post. thanks for the help.
IMG_1044.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1039.JPG
    IMG_1039.JPG
    777.3 KB · Views: 3
Well, I'm not sure how cold you get there in the mountains, but with some wind protection I think your kits will likely do fine. You have lots of straw, a roof and 3 sided protection from the elements. I would use a tarp on the windward side and don't worry about the heat lamps unless it gets bitterly cold.

Well, I'm not sure how cold you get there in the mountains, but with some wind protection I think your kits will likely do fine. You have lots of straw, a roof and 3 sided protection from the elements. I would use a tarp on the windward side and don't worry about the heat lamps unless it gets bitterly cold.

It will probably get down to -15F several times this winter. The end of this week it is forecast to get down to -7F.

AAAAAH! Now they're saying -12F Thursday.
Ooooh - chilly! Make sure there is lots of hay/straw piled around them. I've not had to deal with below -10F so far.....I guess you will have to check to make sure they are all tucked in after the feeding sessions - as you know they sometimes hang on too tight and drop off somewhere other than the nest.
Good luck :)

Well, the good news is that the worst of the cold will happen (if all goes as predicted) between Friday night and Monday morning, so I should be able to check the run pretty regularly. I figure I don't want to lift the box and actually check on the kits during this period, because I'll just let colder air into their nest, but I can check the area around the box to see if any are outside and make sure the does have access to unfrozen water. I think I read that sunflower seeds are good for the nursing doe in this kind of weather. would you agree?

Back
Top Bottom