Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

I'd say it wouldn't...if it were uncomfortable they'd just duck down, away from the heat. I can't imagine the company is putting out brooders that have the capabilities of burning chicks when they come in contact with the plate. From what I've read, they are saying the chick should be coming in contact with the surface of the plate...

Here's an excerpt from the information on the plate from the Premier site:

Quote:

Last edited:
I'd say it wouldn't...if it were uncomfortable they'd just duck down, away from the heat. I can't imagine the company is putting out brooders that have the capabilities of burning chicks when they come in contact with the plate.
True and I thought the same..... but kept thinking .......about @Azure Acres saying she couldn't keep her hand on it....one of those little worrisome things that plague me if *I'm* not the one touching it ;-) Sometimes I think too much.

I've been considering one of these ever since I got the catalog.

One of the things that I was considering is that the brinsea can be run on battery if the electricity goes out. So that's something to consider....if it's worth the price to get the brinsea since you can keep going during a power outage.

pondering-and-thinking-smiley-emoticon.gif

I've been considering one of these ever since I got the catalog.

One of the things that I was considering is that the brinsea can be run on battery if the electricity goes out. So that's something to consider....if it's worth the price to get the brinsea since you can keep going during a power outage.

pondering-and-thinking-smiley-emoticon.gif

My ecoglow did not stay warm with the battery connection. You would have to use an inverter--the premier uses the same wattage so it would work just as well with a battery and an inverter.

Premiere netting is a decent product. I'd be hesitant about spending $100 for a plate that only has a 1 year warranty, and takes up more brooder space. If light isn't desirable, just use a ceramic heat emitter instead of a light bulb.

Lol! Well, he says I'm a wimp when it comes to heat, so if he thinks it is hot I'll know it really is. I swear he has no heat sensitivity at all! He can grab things that I swear are scalding hot and it doesn't bother him a bit.

Premiere netting is a decent product. I'd be hesitant about spending $100 for a plate that only has a 1 year warranty, and takes up more brooder space. If light isn't desirable, just use a ceramic heat emitter instead of a light bulb.

There is a substantial cost savings due to the lower energy use. Brinseas will pay for themselves in several months over a light heat source. They are also more natural and the chicks really do grow better under the contact heaters.

Back
Top Bottom