Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics

rubber feet

showing the height adjustment mechanism, released, see the catch in the hole.

showing the height adjustment mechanism, pushed in to release the catch

7" clearance on highest height adjustment

1" clearance on lowest height adjustment

Ok, they've been in the brooder since last night. They love the heat plate. They wilco me out to eat and drink and then go back under it. When they come out, their backs are warm, but not overly hot. They also will peek their heads out and stand with their fluffy buns under the plate. I'm really eased with it.

I don't have a regulator for my Premier. It is hot to the touch (to me), but the chicks seem to like it. When they need the heat, they will press up against to warm up. Other times, they just lay down under it and still get warmth.

My current chicks are 2 1/2 wks old now. You will see some pressing against it, and others laying under it.

I would set the height so that the front is level to the chicks back, and the back is a couple of notches lower. I don't think I would put the plate on it's lowest setting. That may be a bit low. I've never had mine on the lowest setting. If you have bantams, you may need to lower it for them.

These are my blue Orps from a couple of years ago. They are all passed out under the Premier but not touching it. It was early spring, but don't remember the temp.

IMG_2177.JPG

Here are my babies now. They love to sit on top. Yes, they do make a mess on top, but it's easy to clean. I'll rake it off with a plastic paint scraper and when I'm finished using it, it cleans up easy.

IMG_6338.JPG

It's 45* this morning with wind chill of 38*. I'm sure I will find all of them under the Premier when I go check on them. I brood mine outside in the barn.

eta: Our temps here are all over the place. In the past 2 weeks, they have been 30* up to 90*. On the "hot" days, above 75*, I usually turn off the Premier. If I had the regulator that you can buy for it, I would just turn it down to low. That is the one thing that I love about the MHP (momma heating pad). The temp is adjustable which is great for our weather. When I get chicks again, I will probably get the regulator that Premier now offers for their heat plate.

eta2: Temp in the barn is actually 42*. The chicks were running all over the brooder eating/drinking then jumping on top of the Premier.

Last edited:
I would just brood them directly in the coop and not do a transition from house to coop. If you brood them directly in the coop from day one they are going to feather out earlier and already be hardened off to the ambient temps in your coop, while still being able to use the heat plate for warm ups. That's how it's done under a broody mama...it can be pretty cold in an outside brooder even for day old chicks and they still will come out from under their heat source, run about for food, drinks and adventure and then tuck under mama for a bit for a warm up...then right back out in the colder temps.

As they age in the coop with a mama and the temps are still cold, you'll see them not all going under her....some will just get on top or inside a wing. In this way they are slowly hardened off to the ambient temps as they start to gain feathers.

I called about the Premier heat plate to see if the upper surface had any radiant warmth and they said that it did, which I thought would be perfect and have that same experience for older chicks as they still warm their feet and bellies on a mama but like to be top side.

X2

This seems to mimic a hen more than a heat lamp, which tends to raise the temperature of an area. I am always amazed to see tiny chicks running around in 40 degree temps for long periods of time. Hens apparently haven't read any of the books on how to raise chicks.
ep.gif

Update: Have some chicks under Brinsea EcoGlow and some under a Premier plate - both seem to get equally hot to the touch and both are well-loved by their chicks! However, I prefer the Premier because you can easily adjust the height and see under it from all 4 side
thumbsup.gif

I have both a Brinsea 20 and the large Premiere1 heat plate. Can't complain about either. I have successfully raised both chicks and poults with them.

Premiere1 large heat plate review:

Sturdy construction. I wouldn't want to drop it from any great height, but that shouldn't be an issue anyway. It doesn't have the plastic top, and I've seen it completely covered in 2 week old chicks with no issues. Since the top gets slightly warm, they like to sit and bask up there. I've had no issues with any shoddy construction at all.

Heating: the actual bottom plate gets quite warm. But I can leave my hand touching it without having to pull it away. My chicks push right up against it, and seem to have no issues. I've had no issues with any burns, etc. The chicks don't get any other source of heat, and have shown no signs of distress. They run in and out from under the plate all day, and you can see day by day that they need less and less heat each day.

Adjustability: Very easy to adjust height, and you can make one side higher than the other. Since I have multiple breeds of chicks brooding at once, after a week or so I start to get size differences. I make the front a bit higher than the back, and each chick finds what works for it as far as warmth goes.

Overall: This was just what I was looking for, and at a price point much better than the competition. I own a small Brinsea, and also have zero issues with it. To me, price is the only difference at this point. I much prefer this method over heat lamps. Both chicks and poults seem to have fewer health and adjustment issues. I attribute this to them having a normal day/night cycle just like if they were with a broody hen.

I'm also starting a new experiment with my heat plate. I'd like to be able to get chicks out of my basement much sooner than in the past. So I have built an outdoor hoop coop that is half covered with a tarp and half with clear plastic. I have put in a deep layer of pine shavings and basically buried the heat plate in the shavings with the front dug down so the chicks can descend and get under the plate. I covered the top of the plate in shavings to help insulate also. (I'll take some pics tonight and post them)

I've had the plate set out for about 24 hours now to make sure it is completely up to temp. When I reached my hand down there this morning it was about 28F out, and much warmer under the plate.
Tonight I plan to take about 15 3 week old chicks out and put them in the coop. They are what I would call 'partially feathered' Wings are pretty filled in, most have tails now, some body feathering, but none have feathers on their head and neck. The heat plate will be the only heat source. They have been under a plate inside, so will be accustomed to using one. Low tonight is expected to be near 32F.

If this is successful, the plan will be to brood in the basement under a plate for 2-3 weeks then out to this coop for another 2-3 weeks. Then to another unheated coop to get to 10 weeks before introducing to the laying flock or being sent to the bachelor pens.

So i got the big premiere plate in and wanted to wait to post pics and say how I adore it….until I could order more without facing a backordered product :)
I love it! I'm including pics of how it looks. I feel it is VERY well built. I also have 2 smaller brinseas. The brinseas, I've actually had the plate pop off the bottom and looks cheaply made.
The brinsea is a pain to adjust height. You have to pop the flimsy plastic stands away from the plate….and the stands crack easily. I'm sure they're expensive from Brinsea to replace.
So I make due until the crack all of the way.
The premiere legs are sturdy and the first pic is the tab you push in to adjust height in SECONDS!
The bottom of Premiere plate is not a flimsy plastic but metal (of some type) with screws. I bought the dimmer switch but don't think I'll need it.
These chicks i just put under were used to a heat bulb source and quickly learned to use the Premiere. I'll post pics of that later from my phone.
So LOVE the Premiere, and just ordered 2 more.The large Premeiere plate looks very well made to me. With the quality, ease, and not having to use large bulbs: you can't beat it.

Last edited:
I bought 5 day old chicks two weeks ago, and i have them in my attached unheated enclosed garage which is about 40-50 deg F currently. Im in NY so its no where near warm outside yet, and mine are doing just fine under the premier plate. I have the 12x12 model and was very skeptical at first. I didn't want to use a lamp in my house and risk the fire, so i wanted the plate. I had a lamp as backup just incase they didn't take to the heat plate, but it was plugged in about 12 before they arrived and already up to temp when they entered the brooder. I angled the plate so the smaller ones can get closer and the bigger ones can tuck away further. I shot the plate with my infrared thermo and most of the heating plate read 135 deg F. They run under to warm up, and then scurry out to eat and drink. So, with that, i can say that i recommend the premier heat plate!

So, how hot is too hot? I am getting read to set up my new premier1 for the first time (chicks due to hatch Monday) and find all these posts about needing a regulator (I have one) and lowering the temperature - but what temperature am I shooting for then? I would think something that feels hot but not so hot that I have to pull my hand away? Or is a little hotter better, because they won’t be pressing against it when they are lying down to sleep?
I am planning to tilt the plate so it’s on its lowest setting on one side and at the height of their backs (I assume when standing?) on the other. Or? I am a bit stumped and would like specifics from someone....
I began brooding what I told dh was 13 babies but was really 21 (lol!) with an Ecoglow20. About half of my babies are bantams. They managed to fit under it for the first several days, but I knew they would require something bigger. I ordered the Premier xl 16 x 24. I have one end pretty low for the tiny ones and the other about an inch or so higher. Interestingly, they all pretty much stay on the lower side, which is surprising because this thing gets pretty hot compared to the Ecoglow. Infrared says 148.3° F!

I had read it was pretty hot before ordering and called Premier to ask whether the temp. regulator was needed. They told me it was absolutely NOT needed if you pay close attention to your chicks and that the adjustable legs are meant to regulate the temp. I did not get the regulator, and my chicks are doing great. I do see the whole crew gradually moving toward the higher end. They leave about 1" of space at the low end now. When they almost get to the high end, I'll raise it a bit. I do love the adjustability if this plate, and its great having the larger size so the babies can choose their height.

They are all over the top of it, and I wish I had ordered the cover because the texture of the upper surface really causes the poop to stick. I think I'm going to order it.

Back
Top Bottom