Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
I'm more excited to get these than I was our first chicks last year........

......Now that I know I'm not going to overwhelm myself with unneeded stress over them, I think I'll be able to really enjoy watching them grow!
Things are SO much easier the second year...that learning curve can be a real bear!

At what age and temperature could I put chicks outside in a non heated shed with a large Premier heat plate? We have 31 chicks,that are about 3 weeks old. Temps cold this week, supposed to warm a little next week. I need more space. Thanks for any advice.

At what age and temperature could I put chicks outside in a non heated shed with a large Premier heat plate? We have 31 chicks,that are about 3 weeks old. Temps cold this week, supposed to warm a little next week. I need more space. Thanks for any advice.

I actually just have my 2, 2 month old chicks in my garage with the heat plate, which Is just as cold as an un heated shed :). they have been out there since they were 4 weeks, and I just figured that if they were cold, they would go under the plate

I just got my plate in from Premiere. Looks very well built and easier to adjust than my small brinseas. Was wondering a couple of things:

I usually put Glad Press n Seal on the brinsea to keep it clean.
Will the top of the Premiere get too hot to do that? I haven't tried it yet but heard it gets hotter.

I also got the dimmer switch incase I need it. Those who have it: any recommendation on dimming?

I have heard the Brinsea doesn't work under 50 degrees, but imagined the Premiere might work a little better. Hopefully someone
can add input on that.

I'm getting my chicks tomorrow, first ever.
I've got the small Premier1 heat plate set up and running. I'm using the dimmer, it might not be necessary. I have an infared temp gun; w/o the dimmer, temps on the underside of the plate are about 133f, and uncomfortable for me to hold my hand against.
I can dim it slightly to about 125f, and at that temp, keep my hand on it w/o discomfort.

I will watch the chicks, as the instructions state. If they huddle under it a lot, I'll turn it all the way up and go from there.

I can't find info on the minimum temp that that it can function at, but I seem to remember a previous post on this thread stating that they work at temps lower than the Brinsea. Don't necessarily rely on my memory
ep.gif

As mentioned, mine is on, and covered with Glad Press and Seal and it seems just fine.

I really like the fact that I can set the front legs to raise the plate a bit higher, allowing flexibility for the chicks to self regulate.

Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Update:

I am very please with the Premier1 plate; chicks went right under it and started making happy chick sounds. They run in and out after a nap. I have it on full strength, with the back lower than the front.

Does anyone know if i can use this outside in my coop for 5-week old pullets? Are they too big to climb under it? Thanks

So i got the big premiere plate in and wanted to wait to post pics and say how I adore it….until I could order more without facing a backordered product :)
I love it! I'm including pics of how it looks. I feel it is VERY well built. I also have 2 smaller brinseas. The brinseas, I've actually had the plate pop off the bottom and looks cheaply made.
The brinsea is a pain to adjust height. You have to pop the flimsy plastic stands away from the plate….and the stands crack easily. I'm sure they're expensive from Brinsea to replace.
So I make due until the crack all of the way.
The premiere legs are sturdy and the first pic is the tab you push in to adjust height in SECONDS!
The bottom of Premiere plate is not a flimsy plastic but metal (of some type) with screws. I bought the dimmer switch but don't think I'll need it.
These chicks i just put under were used to a heat bulb source and quickly learned to use the Premiere. I'll post pics of that later from my phone.
So LOVE the Premiere, and just ordered 2 more.The large Premeiere plate looks very well made to me. With the quality, ease, and not having to use large bulbs: you can't beat it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom