Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
I'm thinking that the security of being under something might be what they need when making the transition.

I like the idea of @Kassaundra 's feather dusters in the brooder. Then when they decide they don't need the heat, they can still hide under them until they feel more secure.

Thanks! Mine have just started sitting on it during the day and staying out much longer. I'll probably move them to a lower wattage heat lamp (unless spring magically appears sometime soon). If they don't use it, great!

So, would you say that 20 chicks really only need that plate A LOT is during the first few weeks. Interesting.... I just imagine 20 large chicks squishing under there.

I don't think 20 chicks would fit under the plate for more than a 1 1/2 - 2 weeks! My 14 chicks are 2 1/2 weeks old now and there is no way they would all fit underneath! So, I think if you had 20 chicks, they would really only use it the first 2 weeks. I wouldn't be too concerned unless your temps were really low - 20 chicks can squish together and keep pretty warm! I think it is around 50 degrees in our garage and my chicks seem pretty comfortable with just the one heat plate and each other.

I'm thinking that the security of being under something might be what they need when making the transition.

I like the idea of @Kassaundra 's feather dusters in the brooder. Then when they decide they don't need the heat, they can still hide under them until they feel more secure.

Thanks Leahs Mom, totally forgot about the feather dusters. I bought 12 of them and have my brooder set up. Going to put them in before going to the PO to pick up my chicks. Yea!!
celebrate.gif

I really wanted to try the feather dusters...but the 2 dollar stores near me didn't have them, they had a couple at the drugstore but they were like $8 a piece.

I have both a Brinsea 20 and the large Premiere1 heat plate. Can't complain about either. I have successfully raised both chicks and poults with them.

Premiere1 large heat plate review:

Sturdy construction. I wouldn't want to drop it from any great height, but that shouldn't be an issue anyway. It doesn't have the plastic top, and I've seen it completely covered in 2 week old chicks with no issues. Since the top gets slightly warm, they like to sit and bask up there. I've had no issues with any shoddy construction at all.

Heating: the actual bottom plate gets quite warm. But I can leave my hand touching it without having to pull it away. My chicks push right up against it, and seem to have no issues. I've had no issues with any burns, etc. The chicks don't get any other source of heat, and have shown no signs of distress. They run in and out from under the plate all day, and you can see day by day that they need less and less heat each day.

Adjustability: Very easy to adjust height, and you can make one side higher than the other. Since I have multiple breeds of chicks brooding at once, after a week or so I start to get size differences. I make the front a bit higher than the back, and each chick finds what works for it as far as warmth goes.

Overall: This was just what I was looking for, and at a price point much better than the competition. I own a small Brinsea, and also have zero issues with it. To me, price is the only difference at this point. I much prefer this method over heat lamps. Both chicks and poults seem to have fewer health and adjustment issues. I attribute this to them having a normal day/night cycle just like if they were with a broody hen.

I'm also starting a new experiment with my heat plate. I'd like to be able to get chicks out of my basement much sooner than in the past. So I have built an outdoor hoop coop that is half covered with a tarp and half with clear plastic. I have put in a deep layer of pine shavings and basically buried the heat plate in the shavings with the front dug down so the chicks can descend and get under the plate. I covered the top of the plate in shavings to help insulate also. (I'll take some pics tonight and post them)

I've had the plate set out for about 24 hours now to make sure it is completely up to temp. When I reached my hand down there this morning it was about 28F out, and much warmer under the plate.
Tonight I plan to take about 15 3 week old chicks out and put them in the coop. They are what I would call 'partially feathered' Wings are pretty filled in, most have tails now, some body feathering, but none have feathers on their head and neck. The heat plate will be the only heat source. They have been under a plate inside, so will be accustomed to using one. Low tonight is expected to be near 32F.

If this is successful, the plan will be to brood in the basement under a plate for 2-3 weeks then out to this coop for another 2-3 weeks. Then to another unheated coop to get to 10 weeks before introducing to the laying flock or being sent to the bachelor pens.

Quote:
I was wondering if the heat plate would work with poults. Would it work for Broad Breasted poults? I have 10 coming in May and I'm usually done with chicks by then. So, I could use it for the poults?

My chicks are now 4, 5, and 6 weeks old. I have checked them in the dark the last couple of days, and noticed they are no longer using the heat plate to get under. A couple still sit on top of it, but most are layed up together in the corner. Plenty of room for them to get under it, just seems like they are no longer needing it.

Temp this morning is in the low 40's. I'll be going out in a bit to see what they are doing this morning. I would take a pic, but it's too dark and doesn't come out well.

My BO's are the youngest and still have a lot of "fuzz" on them. Mostly on their head/chest area. Even they are not going under the heat plate. I'll update once I check on them.

eta: Just checked them. There were 2 BOs and 2 SLWs under the heat plate. They are 4 weeks old. Everyone else was sprawled out on the shavings. Looks like maybe another week, and then I can shut it down.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom