Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but I've noticed a few of my chicks have what looks like small callouses or burns on their back and top of head.  A few also seem to have bald spots on their backs from where they must be pressing up against the plate.  I'm not sure if that's what has happened, but it seems the best explanation.

Is that because I didn't raise it enough?  I was so paranoid that they'd be cold.....  Is anyone else noticing that?

I've not seen that with mine. I set mine where they can press against it standing, but if they sit/lay down they don't touch.

Can you post the link for the $1 ones? I can't find any that cheap on the Amazon site.

I have an Eco-Glow, but I ordered 1 large and 1 small plate from Premier several weeks ago. I got the notice today that they shipped!

Good timing! Besides the 2 boxes of chicks I already have in the mud room, I have TWO incubators full of eggs, and I have an order of chicks coming. I didn't know what I was going to do if they didn't hurry and send those plates!

I'll try but I'm not very good at posting.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021XZ8SI/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put about 4 together and put a rubber band about 3" from the
end of the handle. It's spread's out.

Last edited:
I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but I've noticed a few of my chicks have what looks like small callouses or burns on their back and top of head. A few also seem to have bald spots on their backs from where they must be pressing up against the plate. I'm not sure if that's what has happened, but it seems the best explanation.

Is that because I didn't raise it enough? I was so paranoid that they'd be cold..... Is anyone else noticing that?

Can't say that I have ever seen this! However, my 3 1/2 week old chicks are not using the plate except to sleep on! (Minus the Silkie chick, he/she still uses it!) Not that 14 LARGE chicks could fit under it if they wanted to!

I'll try but I'm not very good at posting.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021XZ8SI/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put about 4 together and put a rubber band about 3" from the
end of the handle. It's spread's out.

It shows as $0.99 + $3.14 shipping. I have prime but that's not a prime item.
sad.png

I have to say that I really liked my Premier heat plate. I had 21 chicks using it, and there was plenty of room. I used the small one since the large was out of stock when I ordered mine. My chicks are various ages. I have six that were 5 weeks old yesterday, fourteen that will be 6 weeks old tomorrow and one 7 week old chick. I've just finished cleaning up the heat plate and putting it away in it's box.

I brooded my chicks outside in the shop, no other heat. I did put a thin curtain over the top of my brooder to keep the chicks in for the first 2 weeks, then they went out in my coop brooder. We had temps down into the upper teens/low twenties and they all did fine with the heat plate.

This is the brooder box I used for the first couple of weeks.

I moved them out to this coop brooder once it was finished. About two weeks after I got the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom