Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Ordered the large premiere plate from Amazon in December (Christmas gift card, whoop!) This year I am fortunate to be brooding my 20 chicks in my unfinished basement. Ambient temp is about 60° but it does get a little chillier at night. There are 5 huge windows so they do get sunlight, which I like because they have a natural sleep cycle because of it.

Now to discuss the plate. At first I was super nervous because I couldn't see what they were doing under the plate. I was so nervous in fact that I went and got the heat lamp stand we built last year when we brooded in the horse barn. The stand is pretty handy, allowing the lamp to be clipped and also wired to it for extra security. I've never been worried about fire, but I hated the light. It hurt my eyes when I was looking at objects under it for any length of time. I can't imagine how terrible it is to live under that harsh light (red bulb). Anyway, the first night I had the chicks they had the option of being under the lamp or the plate. When I checked on them before bed only two were under the plate, the rest were having a party under the light. I checked on them a few hours later and no one was under the plate but there was a full rager under the light, with exhausted little bodies passed out here and there. Seriously looked like a frat house from an 80's flick. The next morning they were all exhausted. I decided that was it, no more heat lamp. I unceremoniously unplugged it and shooed the protesting party goers toward the plate. They must have remembered that was a place of warmth because they didn't take any convincing to go under it. Fast forward to the next night: everyone was tucked in and quiet under the plate at dusk and they stayed that way until someone decided they'd had enough sleep at 6 am (just before daybreak) and sounded what I refer to as the new morning alarm. I went down to check on them and switched on the overhead lights, and it was party time again, but in a good way. Everyone shot out from under the plate and went straight to the food and water. They seem so much more active and curious than my chicks from last year who were brooded under a heat lamp. When I put my hand in the brooder they all race over to see what I'm doing. And then they run around some more before going under the plate to warm up.

With regards to the plate being too hot, I don't find this to be an issue. My dad thought they would surely burn themselves on it, but I can hold my bare hand on it (palm side and the back) without feeling uncomfortable. They have their little downy feathers to protect them, so it's not a worry for me. I have one end lower so it is just above their heads when laying down and the other end is about level with their backs when standing. They self regulate pretty well, finding their sweet spot under there. And it took them about 2.5 seconds to figure out how to get up top. They love it. And I am so glad to have relaxed, happy chicks. (PS-the top cleans off easily with a damp paper towel so I didn't bother with the cling wrap on top)

Mine are out in a coop with a run and a window so they get fair warning of dark approaching and will load their crops before tucking in for the night. Then they just sleep until the sun rises. No biggie. I'm not sure how it works if you put them in a place without those cues, though. Maybe leave a small nightlight running so they aren't caught off guard when the lights shut off?
ETA: I have always started chicks outdoors. The current group is the first to have an electric hen (heating pad version but same idea) rather than a lamp. The lamp-reared chicks didn't grow faster and I don't think there is any benefit to 24/7 light. If anything, it's a stressor.

Last edited:
Turn off the light, put them under one at a time, keep doing it. After a little while if any are not under, and cheeping put them back. Do not give them a choice they will stay warm.

Gary

I think they're getting it. I've been down twice in the last hour, and most were under the plate. Saw one come out, grab a snack from the feeder, a sip of water, then go right back. Just as it should.

Can't wait to get the new brooder built and in the basement. Life will be much easier for everyone involved.

So, how hot is too hot? I am getting read to set up my new premier1 for the first time (chicks due to hatch Monday) and find all these posts about needing a regulator (I have one) and lowering the temperature - but what temperature am I shooting for then? I would think something that feels hot but not so hot that I have to pull my hand away? Or is a little hotter better, because they won’t be pressing against it when they are lying down to sleep?
I am planning to tilt the plate so it’s on its lowest setting on one side and at the height of their backs (I assume when standing?) on the other. Or? I am a bit stumped and would like specifics from someone....
I opted to buy the regulator direct from Premier1 when the brooder plate arrived and it was so hot I couldn't touch it. Everything I read said chicks would be fine with the temps (many don't use the regulator), but for my own piece of mind I went ahead and purchased it. Chicks are 2 weeks old today and have done great with the plate - I definitely recommend the Premier1 or similar, just because of the leg set up and the options for adjustments. I've adjusted the plate to be level with their backs as they grow (mixed flock with similar size ranges) - our chicks are using the plate minimally during the day and brooding under it at night quiet and happy!

Thank you!
I do have the regulator. What temperature did you adjust it to? Just hot enough to not hurt? or...?
I turned my heat plate on and will check tomorrow how hot it gets.

I have two 12x12 brooder plates. One came with the regulator, one did not. I am not currently using the regulator, because my understanding is that it doesn't change the temp, only turns the plate on and off at varying intervals. I figured it is better to have them on all the time and allow the chicks to self-regulate.

I've set them up at slightly different heights, since my chicks aren't all the same size. All chicks use both plates. Sometimes they stand with their head out and their backs up against the bottom of the plate. They do not seem bothered by the temperature in the least when they do this. At night, they cuddle up loosely under the lower plate and lie down in a group in the middle to sleep. The fact that I am seeing both of these behaviors from all chicks suggests that the plates are working as intended. The chicks position themselves as needed to get the amount of heat they require.

Note: I am brand new to this, so take my observations for what they are worth. All 12 of my chicks seem happy, healthy and active, but I've only had them for a few days. Hope this helps.

That kind of stinks, not really what you want to adjust heat for chicks

It worked well enough, better than I expected, but I agree it's not ideal. I found the chicks actually did their own regulating. They would sometimes sleep only partially under the plate. That was usually my cue to raise one of them up another notch or two. Having two plates turned out to be a really good call on my part, as I could set them to different heights and let the chicks decide how warm they wanted to be.

If you think about it (as I just did, lol) hens don't really change their body temp that much either. Chicks just change the amount of time they spend snuggled under her and sometimes opt to sleep next to or on top of her instead. That is exactly what mine did with the brooder plates, which is why I concluded that a regulator probably isn't needed at all.

I think so. I will plug it in today and see how hot it gets. Overall it is very similar, seems more heavy-duty, and I really like the adjustable legs a lot better. The small Brinsea was hard to change and I always felt like I was going to break it!

Back
Top Bottom