Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
I have a Brinsea eco glow which I love except for the price then I bought 3 premier1 heatplates and love how they adjust but they get way too hot at 125 degrees ...I called and they acted like I was stupid and said chicks had to be kept at 110 degrees...I can't even hold my hand against these things and I have Polish chicks that now have sore heads and no feathers on top of heads.Sometimes a bargain isn't a bargain I will never buy from this company again!!

I have a Brinsea eco glow which I love except for the price then I bought 3 premier1 heatplates and love how they adjust but they get way too hot at 125 degrees ...I called and they acted like I was stupid and said chicks had to be kept at 110 degrees...I can't even hold my hand against these things and I have Polish chicks that now have sore heads and no feathers on top of heads.Sometimes a bargain isn't a bargain I will never buy from this company again!!
@Darchangel Farm
The manufacturer is in Poland, I believe. They make a temperature control for the units that is similar to the lamp dimmer cords. They don't make them, however, for US electricity at this point.

Now it stands to reason that if there is a temperature controller, there is a reason for it. Mine is way too hot also - too hot to put my hand on it. So I use it with a lamp dimmer whenever I use it. I've never had it turned up more that about 50% of the dimmer switch slider.

I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO USE IT IF I DIDN'T USE THE DIMMER SWITCH. I wouldn't take that chance on my chicks.

I got it at Menards and it is similar to this:

https://www.menards.com/main/electr...l-led-plug-in-lamp-dimmer/p-1444438507478.htm

TTCL-100LH-WH.jpg

Last edited:
PS: I just do the slide by feel. I let it get warmed up then put my hand on it to feel how hot it is. I just keep it at a comfortable temperature for my hand pressed up against it.

If it's really cold out I may put it a little warmer but not much. And if it's really warm out I usually turn it down even more but if you can get a comfortable to the touch heat, that usually works at any weather temp as they will be pressing up against it to get warm.

My husband put rheostats on all three of mine yesterday that I can now turn down to suit...works like a miracle! Like you I put my hand against it to judge the heat and adjust according...Guess Poland has colder chickies than Kentucky...

My husband put rheostats on all three of mine yesterday that I can now turn down to suit...works like a miracle! Like you I put my hand against it to judge the heat and adjust according...Guess Poland has colder chickies than Kentucky...

@Darchangel Farm

Can you post what kind of rheostats your husband used so folks on the thread can see?

And... Poland has a temperature controller
lau.gif

I have used the Premier for three years. Have never had a burn or issue of any kind. Have to got it down too low? Mine always is about head high, where they duck under it. If they are too hot they will move. I cannot understand how they would burn the babies. Are you sure they are not turkeys? Not very bright as chicks...lol

Back
Top Bottom