Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
Yeah, the 600 watt rotary dimmer switch is what I used to make up the 3 sets of cords I made. I think that the little 300 watt lamp cord dimmer is not enough wattage for this application. I purchased a 39 cent plastic single-gang electrical rough-in box, had some 14 gauge electrical cord, and purchased a male and female plug ends for the cords. I proceeded to make up the cords and switch inside the box and installed the plug ends at each end of the cords. The whole set up is only about 3 feet long. Of course you could make it as long as you want it. I hooked it up between the heat plate cord and the wall receptacle. It seems to be working fine! Sue adjusts according to touch for how hot she wants it.

These were new little Polish chicks. We had the warmer down low for them because they were so little, but some of them still scorched their little poof tops. Our Brinsea EcoGlo warmer had not burned any chicks' tops, but this Premier warmer we found out to be way hotter than the Brinsea. We had a little learning curve with it and ended up making up the rheostats in order to bring down the higher temperature for our little chickies.

Hi all - if anyone interested I have put an unboxing video of the heating plate on my new blog www.chicktalks.com if you want to see it. It will be my first time using it so very excited to see how it works and if the chicks will like it.

I am actually hoping to be able to set up a live stream for the hatching or at least from the brooder afterwards (I expect my eggs to hatch in 3 days and still waiting for the webcam to arrive in the mail :)

Feel free to come and watch :)

I have several  of the premier heat plates but do not use the covers.

Thanks! That will save me some $. I didn't want to order one down the road and pay shipping. Does the top get really poopy? I guess wiping it daily won't be too bad.

I didn't realize the top puts out heat as well. I was planning on using their nipple waterer also and liked the idea of it sitting on top like they have in the picture but that's probably not a good idea if the top is heated also.

I love the idea of the sticky cling wrap! I hate to use something that keeps from them from jumping on it, because they like it so much. That would work perfectly!

I'm still using my heat plates and love them.

I love the idea of the sticky cling wrap!  I hate to use something that keeps from them from jumping on it, because they like it so much.  That would work perfectly!

I'm still using my heat plates and love them. 

Glad to hear you still love them! Cling wrap sounds like a great idea! Have you tried it? Would it melt from the heat?

Back
Top Bottom