Is Blackjack 57 safe?

Also I love bj57. I used it in the coop floor and 3' up the walls ,The dog house floor, I also will be using it on the wooden post where I put them in the ground.

Our addition.

Scott

That looks really nice! We also did our floors and partially up the walls. We ended up doing the roof too. So far it's held up perfectly and hoses off great! We did ours last Spring, and no issues thus far. Highly recommend this stuff, even with the difficulty stirring haha!

I wonder if turning the bucket upside down for a few days to allow the contents to mix naturally would make stirring easier or less necessary.

When natural peanut butter separates, if you store it upside down, the oil goes back into the mass.

I saw it somewhere that you should turn it upside down 1 day before using it. It may have been the black Jack site.

I saw it somewhere that you should turn it upside down 1 day before using it. It may have been the black Jack site.
OK, I just did my coop today. I turned the container upside down for about 30 hrs, before using it. I opened it up and there was rubber top to bottom, with the liquid. I used a 2 x 3 x 4 to stir it up, one hand low near the bucket and one hand near the top of the board. Using that method made it pretty easy to stir. It took me 10 - 15 minutes to mix to a nice consistency. I used a 3 inch brush for the walls, about 8 inches high on an 8 x 12 shed I'm building, for my coop. These: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-So...nt-Brushes-Common-3-in-Actual-3-01-in/3775191 I was going to use a roller for the floor but it went on so easy, I used the same brush for the floor. Tomorrow I'm doing a second coat, hopefully it's not all settled. I didn't want to leave it upside down after opening it.
Update: When I opened the pail for my second coat, it wasn't separated. I just had to give it a good stir, like when your using it.

Last edited:
Here's the floor after the second coat, it came out great. The pail with my mixing stick and finally the coop in progress. The flip outs will be windows, there is one on each side also. The door will have a window as well. I'll post my coop build in a different thread.

It has absolutely NO fumes or odors after it is dry. Tell you the truth, it didn't smell that bad when I put it down in my coop. The regular paint I used for the rest of the interior smelled more than the Blackjack. It is safe, it has been in my coop for over three years, and my birds are as healthy as they can be.
Jack
How long did it take your black jack to dry? Mine has had 24 hrs and is tacky to the touch. Any suggestions?

How long did it take your black jack to dry? Mine has had 24 hrs and is tacky to the touch. Any suggestions?

I did 2 coats. The first one was lighter and was dry enough to do the second coat after 24 hrs. The second coat was a little heavier and took a little longer to dry, maybe a day and a half. It will vary depending on the humidity and temps. My temps were about 70 during the day and low 60's at night, with very low humidity.

I did 2 coats. The first one was lighter and was dry enough to do the second coat after 24 hrs. The second coat was a little heavier and took a little longer to dry, maybe a day and a half. It will vary depending on the humidity and temps. My temps were about 70 during the day and low 60's at night, with very low humidity.
Thanks we have low humidity and 86 during the day 50 at night

Back
Top Bottom