Is electric netting sufficient

TrixieChickie

Hatching
May 22, 2023
I have PremierOne electric poultry netting around the outside of my run. The run is a metal frame run (30’x10’) with chicken wire around the sides (to keep the chickens and my daughter from running into the electric netting when she’s playing with them) and hawk netting over top. Inside the run is an old kids playhouse that is not secure that I’m going to use as a temporary coop for six young chickens until I integrate them with the rest of the flock in the main secure coop in a few days. Do I need to put hardware cloth on the playhouse windows? We live near a lake in Alabama, and I know we have coyotes (we hear them at night). Generally in the area would be raccoons I’m sure.

I have PremierOne electric poultry netting around the outside of my run. The run is a metal frame run (30’x10’) with chicken wire around the sides (to keep the chickens and my daughter from running into the electric netting when she’s playing with them) and hawk netting over top. Inside the run is an old kids playhouse that is not secure that I’m going to use as a temporary coop for six young chickens until I integrate them with the rest of the flock in the main secure coop in a few days. Do I need to put hardware cloth on the playhouse windows? We live near a lake in Alabama, and I know we have coyotes (we hear them at night). Generally in the area would be raccoons I’m sure.
Is that hawk netting only? We just put up a 10 x 20 metal frame, and are waiting for 100 ft of hardware cloth, 1 inch pinion hatch bird netting, metal zip ties, 12 inch ground staples. Chicken wire that came with will be used th remind neighbors where property line, about all it's good for.

Is that hawk netting only? We just put up a 10 x 20 metal frame, and are waiting for 100 ft of hardware cloth, 1 inch pinion hatch bird netting, metal zip ties, 12 inch ground staples. Chicken wire that came with will be used th remind neighbors where property line, about all it's good for.
Yes, hawk netting only. We have hawks and an eagle in the area, no issues so far. We also have herons, but I’m not sure if they’d go after chicks this large.

Coyotes & stray dogs have jumped our 36" Poultry netting.

Then the slaughter begins... at least coyotes carried off the ones they killed.

Both times happened during the day when I was at work - fam members saw.

But then I saw dogs dig under our pony pasture fence (not hot), to kill my free ranging flock - they were too far away from secure coop/run to make it there + it was open to allow them to free range. I was too far away to hit dogs w/.22, but scared them off... Loose dogs seem to kill indiscriminately.

Back
Top Bottom