Is it a bad sign for an internal layer/ egg yolk peritonitis?

hensintheHOUse

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 21, 2013
NewYork
My 3 year old leghorn chicken has had an internal layer/ egg yolk peritonitis for a month.

I read almost whole articles of this issue last night thanks to eggcessive, Here is very informative that I have learned about chickens, which I really thank all of you helping each other.
I know she is going to die.. but I want to try anything I can do for her.

Recently, she started to poop with rotten egg yolks a lot like the picture below.

Is it a bad sign?

I really want to try until she comes to the face for the time.

Thank you for your help in advance..

Last edited:
It's *possible* that she has an infection of the repro tract and isn't an internal layer, so if you can manually get the "egg bits" out and get her started a strong antibiotic like Baytril she *might* be okay. If she is an internal layer there is no way to fix her without abdominal surgery and hysterectomy.

-Kathy

Thank you Kathy, again!

I hope so.. but how to get them out if I find?
Is there any videos?

Here is the sick chicken named Deckie.

Last edited:
I had one like your hen and I just stuck my finger in and fished it out. I'm not sure if I got all of it or not, I guess time will tell.

In my hen the "egg bits" were in the uterus, so they were pretty easy to get once I found the opening. Caution - I guess there is a risk of introducing fecal material in the uterus. I've only done this the one time, so I'm no expert, lol.

-Kathy

Thank you, Kathy! :) It is nice to hear that your hen was like mine. :)
I appreciate for the pictures that really helpful.

I put my point finger inside of her about 1 1/2 inches which I felt scared and weird LOL, anyway, I didn't feel any egg shells.
Do you remember how much you put your finger inside?

She is taking penicillin that one of my friends gave us, now.
I will give her Baytril when I get it.

Thank you for helping me out, Kathy.

My hen didn't have any shell, her eggs were shell-less and the inside of the egg had congealed. Don't think I had to go in much more than an inch or two.

-Kathy

Dawg53 has rcommended flushing out the inside of the vent with a weak white vinegar solution and a syringe, to cleanse the area after a hen has a broken egg before. I think that makes a lot of sense. You could use some weak betadine also, or a commercial product.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom