Is it alright to hold new babies, with a protective mother?

MelBennett

Hatching
Sep 28, 2018
My female duck just recently hatched some ducklings.

She has been extremely broody during the whole process, and isn’t that fond of interaction with people as it is.

I would like to hold the ducklings and get them used to being around people, so that they are a bit friendlier than she is once they’re grown.

Is it alright to move her out of the way and hold the ducklings? Is this too stressful for the mother?

I don't make it a habit to handle babies with a protective mom unless there is an emergency. Mom can rush at you, scattering and knocking chicks over, causing panic and risking injury.
Also, you have to be fast or risk getting a good peck. Most broody hens I have known were feral and went for the eyes if you got too low, but maybe ducks are different.
Regardless, I'd leave them alone and let mom do her job.

Those chicks belong to you so do with them as you see fit. But from time to time a mama hen will go off the tracks and flog you when you either pick up or return a chick to the nest. I have had chicks killed by their own mama in these "friendly fire" incidents. You will to if you rear enough chicks under a hen and interfere with the hen chick relationship..

I try to habituate broodies to being touched and handled from the get go, before I even give them fertile eggs. Use a few scratch grains to bribe them (only the first couple times), just a daily touch on the face/wattle/neck, then on to gently lifting them to look at eggs. Even on one my most skittish birds acquiesced pretty quickly, good thing too because one of her chicks got tangled around the neck in her breast feathers and I had to cut it loose, probably would have choked to death otherwise. I also handle the chicks once they're out and dry, just often enough to show mama that 'they won't die' if her human touches them. This was with chickens, I assume ducks would be very similar.

She is doing her job as a mother. Think about how you would like her to behave if a racoon or a fox were aproaching her brood. Protectiveness is instinct.
I would spend time with them only observing.
Set beside the food dish and let them come to you.
Separating mom will result a scene that will likely make the babies more scared of you.
Congratulations on your new ducklings!

She is doing her job as a mother. Think about how you would like her to behave if a racoon or a fox were aproaching her brood. Protectiveness is instinct.
Yeah, but, domestic poultry should know their human keepers are not predators,
that part is not instinctual but needs keepers input for 'training'.

Is it alright to move her out of the way and hold the ducklings?
Hello MelBennet. Welcome to BYC.:)
No it isn't is the short answer.
It stresses the mother and the chick, and if the mother chooses an aggressive response she may hurt you.
Let the mother do her stuff and be pleased that you can watch.

Back
Top Bottom