Is it Ginger or George?

Gabbie100

Hatching
Oct 7, 2015
We have five 22 week old chickens in our flock; 2 Buff Orphingtons, 2 SilverLace Wyandottes, and 1 Buckeye.

So far none of them have started to lay eggs yet. We feed them Purina Premium Layena pellets every day, and occasional meal worms plus fresh lettuce and tomatoes from our garden. They have a nice hen house and pen and are let out to forage in the back yard several times a week. Is it too soon to expect them to lay?

One of the Buffs (Ginger) looks very different from his/her sister Roxie and is much larger than all the other hens in size and temperament; she's mean to all the other hens. Her combs and waddle are also very large for a hen. Our first thought was 'Rooster' but s/he has never crowed or attempted to. The gentleman at the local feed store said if it was a rooster he would have crowed by now. The pictures are of Roxie and Ginger. Can you tell me what Ginger is?

Last edited:
(I'm writing this off the assumption you didn't add any pictures. I can't see any but occasionally my phone messes up so that could be happening)

Usually they would have crowed by now, but you get the occasional 7-8 month old crower. I've heard tell of year olds too, though never experienced it myself.

Sounds like it could be a rooster or a masculine point of lay hen. At this age males will have very defined saddle and sickle feathers. The saddle feathers of males will be sharp, pointed, and partly see through, whereas females have thick, round ones. But if you have any pics post them here, sexing should be easy for an experienced keeper.

I posted them but they aren't showing up. Will keep trying. I posted a pic of Ginger in my profile.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

The buff Orpington in your avatar is a cockerel.
Orpingtons can be slow to mature. The feed store guy is correct in that the majority of roosters will be crowing by this age, but lack of crowing does not guarantee female. Those longer, pointy hackle and saddle feathers, plus the darker shading on the wings and long gangly legs all spell male.

Thanks for the feedback and confirming what I've suspected. Now I just have to find him a new home; no roosters allowed in Cary.

Back
Top Bottom