Is it illegal to own a Canadian Goose?

Akpahsj

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
So one day we were out horse-back riding when something popped out of the bush. It was a canada goose, and it started running, but it couldn't fly. the dogs attacked it, we thought it was dead. But we soon found out it wasn't. I rode to my Granny's house and my brother jumped on the quad, and we went and caught it. We put it in our duck coop, and separated it from the ducks.

Gilbert (the goose) Is now happily living with our ducks, and is getting tamer every day. He has been with us for about 5 weeks, and he seems to like it. He's a little bossy, but today we just filled up the pool and he loved it, he cleaned himself up nicely!

He cannot fly, my mom took a look at his wing and a bone is broke, part of it is sticking out a little.

I heard that it was illegal to have a Canadian Goose, since they are migratory birds. I really don't see how its that bad if he can't fly, and he likes it.

So is it illegal? I live in Alberta, and all the geese are going south right now.

Thanks.

I have a Canadian Goose that has lived on our farm for 20+ years now. he can fly but chooses to stay with my tame geese. His mate was killed by a fox and he stayed behind when his group left. He now has a mate in my tame geese and the produce little ones just about every year that are half Toulouse and Canadian.

Thanks for rescuing it.

Here's what I know about the U.S., but things might be different in Canada.

In the U.S., it is not illegal to own a Canada goose per se, but it is illegal to keep a wild Canada goose. You might think about handing him over to a wildlife rehabber if you can find one close to you. Or, at least contacting one and asking about it. It might be too late to fix his wing if it's been 5 weeks, but they may have been able help sooner if he was brought in earlier.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Maybe you are just allowing one to hang around and it's eating the food you leave out for the others.
wink.png
I have one like that, only it was an egg we found, placed in an incubator, hatched, and it grew up before we knew what it was. Now it can fly but has decided to stick around......ya.... that's the story.
hmm.png

i have a canadian goose question......we have a lot of wild candian geese here in belgium and a huge flock lives in the fields behind my house, we see them every year and they are really breeding well. anyhow last year i was given a canadian goose (born in captivity/domesticated) and never knew if it was male or female. it always lived with my male muscovy and they were inseperable. until late spring this year. the wild flock of candian geese flew over and landed in the field across from ours. they were calling and my goose was calling back. they were doing this for hours before the flock flew away...well all but one. this lone goose flew over into my field and went over to my canadian goose....and hasnt left! its stayed side by side with my goose and it seems theyve made a couple :) my goose cant fly so no fear of it flying away. my question is how can i tell if they are males/females or one of each?

my goose is the one at the front of the pics, the wild one is at the back

Last edited:
I am in England and rescued a Canada goose that had fishing line embedded round it's leg. She could not walk and so could not move to forage. I and the vet removed the wire and dressed her leg. The RSPCA said that because she is not native to England they would put her to sleep and if I release her I would get a 5 thousand pound fine or 6 months in prison !!! I am allowed to keep her though so she is living quite happily with my Muscovies

What you said is RIDICULOUS. They can be aggressive when protecting their young, as any bird or anyone would be but, they do not lunge and bite. They give a warning to back off. If you do not have the brains to back off, then you deserve a bite. However, we feed Canada Geese regularly and they are not aggressive at all and would never bite us. One even allowed my husband to pet it once, although usually, we only sit by them without touching. To us, they are gentle and sweet-natured. If they are being aggressive toward someone, that someone is deserving of it.

Back
Top Bottom