Is it illegal to own a Canadian Goose?

Akpahsj

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
So one day we were out horse-back riding when something popped out of the bush. It was a canada goose, and it started running, but it couldn't fly. the dogs attacked it, we thought it was dead. But we soon found out it wasn't. I rode to my Granny's house and my brother jumped on the quad, and we went and caught it. We put it in our duck coop, and separated it from the ducks.

Gilbert (the goose) Is now happily living with our ducks, and is getting tamer every day. He has been with us for about 5 weeks, and he seems to like it. He's a little bossy, but today we just filled up the pool and he loved it, he cleaned himself up nicely!

He cannot fly, my mom took a look at his wing and a bone is broke, part of it is sticking out a little.

I heard that it was illegal to have a Canadian Goose, since they are migratory birds. I really don't see how its that bad if he can't fly, and he likes it.

So is it illegal? I live in Alberta, and all the geese are going south right now.

Thanks.

Thanks for rescuing it.

Here's what I know about the U.S., but things might be different in Canada.

In the U.S., it is not illegal to own a Canada goose per se, but it is illegal to keep a wild Canada goose. You might think about handing him over to a wildlife rehabber if you can find one close to you. Or, at least contacting one and asking about it. It might be too late to fix his wing if it's been 5 weeks, but they may have been able help sooner if he was brought in earlier.

Last edited:
It is not illegal to keep or raise geese. You must however buy/trade/barter them from someone who has a USFW permit and keep that paperwork on hand to prove. No permit required to raise or keep, only if you plan to sell or trade. They are great to have around.

Hope this helps

Steve

Hmmm. Maybe you are just allowing one to hang around and it's eating the food you leave out for the others.
wink.png
I have one like that, only it was an egg we found, placed in an incubator, hatched, and it grew up before we knew what it was. Now it can fly but has decided to stick around......ya.... that's the story.
hmm.png

It depends on your state laws I think. I live in KS & had one land in my yard once & stay once it found out there was food. I put it in my pen with the other birds & the neighbor called the game warden. He said I couldn't keep it unless I had a permit, so I had to let it go.

You need to check with your local fish and game department. It's true that the Canada goose is a federally protected migratory bird, but you can keep them if you have a permit. I was told by the F&G that you can keep 5 or less without needing a permit.

Didn't realize you were in Canada, I've no idea on the laws there.

Last edited:
a bone is broke, part of it is sticking out a little

Have you taken it to a vet at least??????​

Quote:
This is false information. We raise 6 different types of Canadian geese and have flocks in two states. BOTH states require a state permit to keep them.

Do not go by my word either OR some unknown person that only lists a first name.........................check with YOUR Dept of Natural Resource or Game Fish & Parks, whatever it's called in your area.

Back
Top Bottom