Is it illegal to own a Canadian Goose?

Thank you I hope she does well wish I could have found her family but I will do the best I can for her an maybe if she doe leave one day she will come back frome time to time would luv that.

This is false information. We raise 6 different types of Canadian geese and have flocks in two states. BOTH states require a state permit to keep them.

Do not go by my word either OR some unknown person that only lists a first name.........................check with YOUR Dept of Natural Resource or Game Fish & Parks, whatever it's called in your area.
You are correct. When I raised Canadians in Texas I obtained a State permit. They aren't difficult to get. In New Mexico, I believe you need a permit from State F&W and one other piece of paper. I have not yet called my contact in Albuquerque yet, so I am not clear on what the other piece of paperwork is.

You are correct. When I raised Canadians in Texas I obtained a State permit. They aren't difficult to get. In New Mexico, I believe you need a permit from State F&W and one other piece of paper. I have not yet called my contact in Albuquerque yet, so I am not clear on what the other piece of paperwork is.
Probably their birth certificates
tongue.png

I'm in the same boat with the 2 babies that were brought down to my farm yesterday. I'm not leaving them alone, no way. My nosey neighbor has already made comments about "taking wild geese out of the wild" and making a phone call. Ugh!

He's just a bully, and brags about how much he hunts them. :( There's a lot of information in this thread to digest, but we'll do what it takes to benefit the birds.

I'm in the same boat with the 2 babies that were brought down to my farm yesterday. I'm not leaving them alone, no way. My nosey neighbor has already made comments about "taking wild geese out of the wild" and making a phone call. Ugh!

He's just a bully, and brags about how much he hunts them. :( There's a lot of information in this thread to digest, but we'll do what it takes to benefit the birds.
Apply for a permit. They aren't very expensive. That way you are covered. I will check Illinois for you and get back on here.

Neighbor sounds like a real charmer.
Oh, you have no idea! He had me red tagged for my silkie roo being in my house. Hurt his leg, and I had to nurse him back to health. Wasn't gonna leave him outside in the dead of winter. Guy is an asset to the community, That's for sure!
I can't PM you back. I really appreciate the help.

We've had chickens for years, and have turkeys on the way. We do want to get into geese, and ducks too, just weren't gonna add anymore birds till next spring ;) But well, here they are.

Back
Top Bottom