Is it Illegal to Sell Chicken Eggs?

Most states comply with USDA rules.

Quote:
That only applies to eggs and products sold in interstate commerce and imports. The individual states regulate egg sales within their borders.

This is a story about a health food store in PEI.
They can't sell eggs, so the eggs are free, you just have to pay $2.75 for the carton
big_smile.png
Genius!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/story/2011/06/22/pei-ungraded-eggs-sales-584.html

Didn't read the whole thread so forgive me if this has been said...
Why are eggs ok to sell and milk & meat are not?
Because eggs are pre-packaged (by the hen) and milk & meat are not... well they were at one time, but they are just too hard to sell in their pre-packaging.
tongue.png

I have never heard that it is illegal to sell eggs.  I do know though that if you plan to sell them in "re-used" cartons from the store, you need to mark out all the grading information.  Since yours will not be graded you can't sell them as Grade A.  It is my understanding that you also need to mark out the producer and the "batch" number.  Maybe someone else knows for sure about that, but I am certain of the grading.

Also, you can never sell your eggs as "organic" unless you are organic, and have been certified...and then you would want to put your cert number on your cartons.  Many people I know make up their own labels and put them on cartons that they reuse (marking out the info I said above).  You can certainly say "Farm Fresh Eggs" or "Free Range Eggs" or something to that effect...just don't use organic.

As far as the milk, I think it is something about the pasturization (sp?) but I am not certain.

HTH!

I actually just got done reading the USDA guidelines on organic certification and found that small producers that sell less than $5k in agricultural products annually can use the term "organic" on their products without being certified so long as all of the guidelines necessary to become certified are complied with. This allows the small hobby farmer to compete in the "organic" market without the need to insure the costs of certification....

Hello,
My opinion on selling eggs vs. selling milk and meat would be, if the egg is bad - you'll know it! It doesn't have to be a full blown rotten egg to be bad and you can see it.
With meat and milk, there can be contamination (bacteria lurking) without smell, taste or sight. And if the meat etc. isn't handled properly, then refrigerated properly, those little bacteria is still there and can make you sick, or dead when heated.
I'm not a biologist/doctor but just talking from experience....
We also found that if you place your raw eggs (in shell) in a bowl of cool water, they will float if there is something wrong with the egg. If they sink, they are really fresh, if they stand on end, not so fresh but still good to use - but soon.

Hope this helped in some way.
big_smile.png

Here in Wisconsin, I contacted our Dept of Agriculture, and they sent me a nice information packet that described all of the state regulations. For example, here in Wisconsin egg sales from the farm are unregulated. I can sell all the eggs I want, without grading or inspection, as long as I am selling from the premises.

If I wanted to sell to retailers or restaurants, I would need an Egg Processors Permit, need to have the necessary facilities, need to grade the eggs, and would be subject to quarterly inspection by the state.
Similar here in Michigan. I have a egg processing license myself. The inspection wasn't so bad. Washable walls, floor and ceiling. Potable hot and cold water. Working septic. Dedicated hand washing sink, a couple sinks for washing eggs, and a washable work counter. Of course there must be a dedicated refrigerator for the eggs. All this must be physically separated from any living quarters or domestic kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom