Is it just me? Have we lost a lot of members? Members posting differently?

wolftracks

Spam Hunter
12 Years
Nov 6, 2009
Modesto
Up until just a few months ago you could ask questions and you'd get so many responses. Not you ask and there are hardly any views, let alone a single reply.

I know for me, I used to check the recent posts constantly, but even though I almost always have that screen up, I have not really followed through with posting like I used to. At least not like I do in threads I'm usually in like state thread or hatches or what have you. If I don't have an answer I try to keep a thread up so it gets seen by someone who does. If the answer is there I also move on. But I know there used to be a lot of help out there that just doesn't seem to be there any longer.

Did we lose a lot of members with the change over to the new site? Have so many people gotten out of raising chickens and not even interested any longer?

There are a lot of new people here and it seems they are helping eachother along and just as before we all know that isn't always a good thing. Lots of incorrect information for one newbie to another and we all know the trend goes on. It always has, but usually someone with some real knowledge will jump in and try to save them. I know that doesn't always happen, but sometimes they listen.

Has everyone started using the site differently and maybe the unread or unanswered posts are just not being seen?

Just seems that the members who have been on here a while have grouped up and stuck together more and really aren't interested in posting in thread where they don't all hang together. Certain subjects have been more closed to those just starting out and asking questions.

I know I see a ton of games and things on here sometimes, but little else, so I just pass things up. I hate that I do that, but I also have a problem with the colors and my eyes in the site on certain areas.

IDK.....Is it just me or is something very different here at BYC?? I hope I'm just lost somewhere and don't see the things going on that I think I'm missing.

I also want to say that I find the new layout much more difficult to navigate/follow posts/load. I do understand the need for the change, and I also believe that it was in the best interest of BYC, but that doesn't make it any more user-friendly.

I haven't been a very active poster for a while, from even before the site change. Some of it was because of personal reasons, the rest of it was that, to me, the feel of BYC has changed.

When I joined, newbies were encouraged to ask their own questions, now they are encouraged NOT to post, and instead slog through countless FAQ's to find their answers. While I agree the information is already on here, it's not the same as asking a specific question and getting a personalized answer. That personalized answer is why many people come to BYC instead of scouring the internet, and IMO, is a major draw (or should be) for the forum. That exchange of ideas between people should always be encouraged. Of course, answering the exact same question, time after time, can be taxing, but everyone with experience should be taking a turn, not leaving it to the two or three posters every time.

The other main problem I have with answering posts, is that when I read a post I don't agree with, I now skip it, rather than framing a reply. I have found too many people are quick to anger if you disagree in the slightest way. So I'm also limited to replying to threads where I agree with every answer or opinion submitted. I have been reprimanded before for stating my opinion when it differs from majority; I mostly keep it to myself.

These two things keep me from posting as much as I normally would. Encouraging newbies to ask ANY question, and allowing the free exchange of ideas are the premises I thought this site was built upon, but now seems sadly lacking. It might just be me, or, it might be a lot of people.
hu.gif

Well, in that case, I will respond in a collegial way and even though I am sure that what you say is true, on occasion, I still believe that a great many people on this site are very anxious to impart information to others because they like to show how they did it. When I first started raising chickens (only one year ago) I knew absolutely nothing and every bit of info came from the people on the site. I even had several persons contact me directly to show me the finer points of building a coop and run. The one problem that I did find is that there is almost too much info and a lot of it will never be applicable. I find that true in the disease and illness section. If you read all of it you will be up nights just thinking of the problems your hens will get when, in truth, if you keep a single flock without interaction with outside birds, you will rarely have problems. That is not true of the predator section where I took every disaster to heart and built my set up to be as predator proof as possible.

Kansaseq - I've never tried it, but I think it has something to do with the "Subscriptions" link under your messages button. I was never subscribed to any threads to begin with, so it wasn't really a problem for me.

As for the original topic of the thread, there are a lot of people I miss, who just don't have the time to post as much on the forums anymore. I don't know an awful lot about chickens, so if I give advice I stick with the simple things that I have a little experience with.

The new format is strange and not easily understood. I had just mastered the old system when they changed to this one. It is a bit of a chore to post here.

Also, now there seems to be a lack of civil discourse here. People do not want to hear other peoples' opinions. They get offended if someone does not agree with them. Rather than hear other folk's ideas, they just want to have their opinions parroted back to them.

Well, raising chickens in Ontario is a far cry from the way they are raised in Mexico. Each monkey to their own peanut.

Rufus

Huh. Interesting. When I first started reading a few years ago, I was amazed at how nice this community was, particularly compared to other bbs I was a part of. The one thing I have noticed in general is the nastiness of people overall. I wonder if this has anything to do with the US heading into an election.........
lol.png

One thing I have noticed, honestly, is that the caliber of genuine questions seems to have tanked. Overall, it seems people don't want to search for the basics, but that's a reflection of society in general, imo- no one wants to research; everyone wants answers "right now," even, if on that same bb the same question has been asked numerous times. Seems to me people are tired of answering the same questions over and over, when two threads have exactly the same question by different posters. Not saying people shouldn't ask questions, of course, but it just seems prudent to search for the issue before posting.......

I think the bigger BYC gets, the more accurate a reflection of society at-large we're going to see.................. and ya, it's disappointing to see people tearing others down so quickly. one thread I saw left me scratching my head, because people jumped all over one poster for the response, but I didn't see anything wrong with what had been written; I wasn't on the other threads to see the responses being shared, so I didn't have enough "background," it seems, to know why they were ticked at the poster.

I have noticed much the same....mostly that it seems like overall traffic to the sight is down. I see lots of things that get no/few replies.

I do think it has to do with the change in the sight...but I am hopeful that it's just a short-term problem that will be solved as new members come on board....and they don't know any different, so they'll like it just fine.

Anyway - I'm going to stick it out and try and be positive that it will get back to busy again soon.

I just went back to the sections that most people will ask question, i.e. coop design, managing, flock, predators, etc. and it seems that every question has had some sort of answer. Even though I have made it a habit to post on the Random Ramblings I have also made it a habit that almost every time I am on I look to make sure that no real question has gone without any answer or participation. I am not alone in that and I hope that Sourland sees this because I know for a fact that he has made it a goal to always search through the new topics to make sure each has gotten some input and he has encouraged others to do the same. As for a recent trend that encourages newbies to search the forum rather then ask questions I don't think that is a very prevalent attitude even though it is quite obvious that you can get an answer to the easies to the most complex problem by doing a search. Regardless, I know that a lot of the old members get a kick out of answering questions and showing how they do it.

As for the newly engineered site being more difficult, I will agree with you but with a caveat. I was really used to the old site and when the new one came on it was more difficult for me as it was for a lot of people because it was new. I now find it to get easier and easier because it seems to be a more intuitive site. Keep using and it will get easier to use.

Oh trust me I'm on here 24/7 even if I'm not at my laptop. LOL

I do think more newbies are told to search. I have to say that even using the old platform, I had a difficult time too often to find an answer before I needed it. Sometimes things come up. I've been using this site since a couple of years before I even jined it, but I have noticed that some subjects just get passed by. I hate the thought of a newbie joining and getting turned off by being ignored or scolded by someone who even bothers to post but wends them off to search on their own. Not everyone knows how to do that even if it is the simpliest of things.

I think I used chat once, but maybe we could set something up for chat somewhere that Rob would be ok with, so the members could still have what they were used to.

Back
Top Bottom