Is it me or is having chickens complicated?

Wow, an eagle? That is so intimidating. Right now the chickens have about a quarter of an acre to roam around. We have 12 chickens which includes a rooster.
Do you notice any pickings or do they generally seem to be happy and get along?

I agree with others that it was likely a predator. Weasels and minks can get in to really small spaces, but other predators are crafty as well.

I’m sorry for your loss. Try not to take it so personally. They’re outdoor animals, exposed to lots of things, and casualties will happen. Even with indoor pets, sickness and disease can strike. Nothing will live forever on this earth, and that doesn’t mean you’re not fit to care for an animal. You’re giving them a far better life than they could have had, and one day it will end, likely through no fault of your own. As long as you’re not completely negligent, you can’t shoulder that blame. It’s not for you to carry. You do your best, you learn as you go, and you love and care for them to the best of your ability. Expecting anything beyond that is expecting too much of yourself.

I don't think chickens are complicated, I think people are. Each of us comes to this hobby with expectations. Some peoples expectations are unrealistic from my point of view.

They are not going to live for ever. You can't change that. What you can do is make sure they have a shelter, water and feed.

Chickens can die suddenly - so can people, chickens suffer from heart ailments, genetic ailments, just like people - you really can't change that. What you can do is make sure they have a shelter, water and feed.

Sometimes chickens get injured or sick, they get better or they die and often times this is whether you treat them or not - you really can't change that. What you can do is make sure they have a shelter, water and feed.

Sometimes predators get them. Sometimes when they are out free ranging eating grasshoppers having a grand chicken life. Some people die in car accidents, but we all still ride in cars. You can try once again to make things more predator proof, but predators are smart.

You just need to give them the best life you can. What you can do is make sure they have a shelter, water and feed. Accept that they won't live forever... but then you have room for new chicks.

Mrs K

To keep predators out you you need 1/2" hardware cloth over all opening with an apron around the sides to keep diggers out .Leaving any gaps larger than 1/2" can allow small predators in such as rats and weasels. Raccoons and foxes will squeeze thru 3" gaps.
Sorry for your loss!

Do you notice any pickings or do they generally seem to be happy and get along?

I agree with others that it was likely a predator. Weasels and minks can get in to really small spaces, but other predators are crafty as well.

I’m sorry for your loss. Try not to take it so personally. They’re outdoor animals, exposed to lots of things, and casualties will happen. Even with indoor pets, sickness and disease can strike. Nothing will live forever on this earth, and that doesn’t mean you’re not fit to care for an animal. You’re giving them a far better life than they could have had, and one day it will end, likely through no fault of your own. As long as you’re not completely negligent, you can’t shoulder that blame. It’s not for you to carry. You do your best, you learn as you go, and you love and care for them to the best of your ability. Expecting anything beyond that is expecting too much of yourself.
You are so very kind. In answer to your question, all of them stay together and act upset when one of them begins to cackle at me for opening the nesting box when she’s laying there. They seem very attached to each other.

I have had a lot of predators but never had a hen kill her sister hens. I just don't' believe they would do so, and some of my hens are super mean to the other ladies. And yes, it's a little work to raise hens, but worth it. I'm so envious that yours snuggle you. I've only had one if lots of years that was a snuggler! It sounds like your flock is happy.

I don't think chickens are complicated, I think people are. Each of us comes to this hobby with expectations. Some peoples expectations are unrealistic from my point of view.

They are not going to live for ever. You can't change that. What you can do is make sure they have a shelter, water and feed.

Chickens can die suddenly - so can people, chickens suffer from heart ailments, genetic ailments, just like people - you really can't change that. What you can do is make sure they have a shelter, water and feed.

Sometimes chickens get injured or sick, they get better or they die and often times this is whether you treat them or not - you really can't change that. What you can do is make sure they have a shelter, water and feed.

Sometimes predators get them. Sometimes when they are out free ranging eating grasshoppers having a grand chicken life. Some people die in car accidents, but we all still ride in cars. You can try once again to make things more predator proof, but predators are smart.

You just need to give them the best life you can. What you can do is make sure they have a shelter, water and feed. Accept that they won't live forever... but then you have room for new chicks.

Mrs K
Well said

Back
Top Bottom