Is it ok to feed blueberries?

Knock Kneed Hen

California Dream'in Chickens
9 Years
Feb 15, 2010
So. Cal.
I looked at the toxic plants list and didn't see them there. My DH used to work in reptiles at the zoo and said that they never shared blueberries with the bird dept. because they were toxic to birds. Thanks!!

Wow, I just bought some for my 4 5-week old RIR's. I haven't seen them eat them, but I keep giving the blueberries to the chicks everyday. I sure hope you get an answer. I thought the only fruit you should not give them was citrus.

No blueberries are not toxic, but they have been added to the 12 most toxic list along with kale, because they are so heavily treated with pesticides.
If they are not organic make sure to wash them before you eat them or any pet eats them.

Imp- you could skip in-laws though.
roll.png

My RIR so far like cantaloupe, watermelon, tomatoes. cow peas, bugs, & the coop. I let them out but they won't venture to far from the coop. Their a bunch of spoiled rotten chickens. I decided to get chickens instead of a dog. I like eggs.

if they are native blueberries then NO. they are too good to give away. if theyre chilean or californian then they are probably flavorless and okay for chickens.

ETA: I didnt see you are from california. I meant the ones from big farms in plastic containers at supermarkets

Last edited:
I have a big blueberry patch just off the corner of the chicken yard. When I'm picking down there the chickens line up along the fence waiting for me to toss insect or bird pecked berries over the fence--they even remember from year to year. I have a few that will take them out of my hand if I offer them. After the season I let them into the patch to clean up anything that is on the ground to make sure no pests overwinter. Never a problem other than having to watch they don't scratch under the bushes too much, blueberries are very shallow rooted.

Quote:
They're the only kind I've ever eaten myself so I guess the chickens and I don't know what we're missing
wink.png
I guess the fact that I'm willing to share them with the chickens supports the second part of your comment.
tongue.png

Quote:
I wish that were true--birds are stripping my bushes clean faster than I can get at the ripe ones and I have over 100 bushes.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom