Is it safe to put a zip-tie on a chickens leg? (not my idea)

hennypenny95

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 7, 2014
We have new chicks and they came with their mom. For some reason, my grandpa wants to mark her by putting a zip-tie on her leg so we know which one she is, just like they put those rings on parrots. But I'm scared that it will hurt her. Is it a good idea?

Last edited:
Agree - if you don't put it on too tight, and cut off the excess plastic, it should be fine. I would suggest not putting it on a young bird that's still growing. You could run into trouble with that.

welcome-byc.gif

I use zip ties to mark my birds all the time.

I hatch a lot, so I have to do something to know who is from what batch.

A grown bird should be easy peasy. Just give it a little wiggle room. If she's brooded chicks, she's pretty much as big as she's gonna get. Her legs may thicken a bit as she ages, so like anything you'll just want to keep an eye on it.

Chicks are trickier. The're growing and you have to keep a much closer eye on them. But it's still okay, just use some common sense.

My little chicks are sometimes bothered by the bands. the adult birds really don't seem to notice.

Welcome to BYC!
Absolutely!
I use them all the time.....but they do need to be watched closely and changed out as the bird grows.
It took some practice, but I've gotten to where I can only change them 3 times between hatch and full grown.
Tightening the tie just large enough not to fall off gives more time between having to change them out.
There are always exceptions tho, so monitoring the fit regularly is important.

Having the right tools can make things much easier.
I found using a pair of end cutters is the best way to remove a tie that's gotten too tight.
Instead of having to get between the leg and tie, you just cut thru the tie lock.

I find it easiest to change out ties at night wearing a head lamp to see and grabbing birds off roost.

Here's some info and pics on how I use zipties:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/leg-banding-with-zipties

Please, please, please keep an eye on the zip ties or anything you put on your chicken! I just purchased 3 cochins that we’re 15-18 months old and noticed one was limping. I gave her a bath and blow dryed her and noticed her foot had a huge laceration. When I looked closer it was a dang zip tie that the owner forgot to cut off!!!! I won’t post the actual damage on my chicken in case it upsets anyone, but The picture I did post was the zip tie and the crusty skin that came off with it. So please, just make sure you check ALL chickens with zip ties and I don’t suggest using clear zip ties. *rant over*

The tires are fine if left loose enough for growth but obviously not too loose. I've use them plenty of times. But keep an ion it to make sure it doesn't get too tight on their leg. I got close once and it was really hard to get off to put a new one on.

Yes, using zip ties is safe! I actually use zip ties to tell my quail apart! I would suggest that you look into actual leg bands, but again, zip ties are safe. if you are going to band one, I would recommend banding some of the other members of you flock (With different colors so you can tell them apart) because if one chicken looks different (even slightly) there is a possibility that she could get beaten up by other chickens in her flock. Also, zip ties/ leg bands are painless! Just don't make the band too tight (there's no wiggle room) or that might annoy/ possibly hurt her.

Back
Top Bottom