Is it true

It should result in white chickens, not black if the white rocks carry two copies of dominant white. If they carry only one copy, approximately half the offspring will be white and hte other black.

Henk or Chris could help for sure.

My understanding is that White Rocks could be different things. Some are Silver so can be used to make red sex links. But some are not. Different ways to make white.

If they are silver, then the BA/WR offspring should all be black.

Olds cool, you are not the only one that gets confused over chicken genetics.

Last edited:
Quote:
That is if the white rocks are recessive white, not dominant white. Pretty sure they are dominant white. Henk? or Chris?

Nope They are recessive, or they are supposed to be anyway as they originated as Recessive White Sports that popped out of Barred breedings. There may be some hatchery strains that have had Dom White bred in now with the addition of a masking a Silver based pattern to produce white tailed red columbian Sexlink pullets. But in general they are Recessive White like the Giants, Javas and Wyandottes and most American Heritage breeds.

So if so and if they are masking Black, then you would get all black offspring

If you by chance got an old heritage strain that was still masking barring then you would get sexlinks with black females and barred males.

Nope They are recessive, or they are supposed to be anyway as they originated as Recessive White Sports that popped out of Barred breedings.

This is very true of exhibition fowl, but utility/commercial White Rocks (& White Wyandottes, RIW) had White Leghorn bred into them in the early days.
If you get White chicks your Rocks are Dominant white, if you get black chicks they are recessive white.
David​

Silver alone will not make a solid white bird; it needs one either c/c or I/? as well. The sources I've found says it is dominant, but I will keep looking and hope that Henk chimes in.

Quote:
This is very true of exhibition fowl, but utility/commercial White Rocks (& White Wyandottes, RIW) had White Leghorn bred into them in the early days.
If you get White chicks your Rocks are Dominant white, if you get black chicks they are recessive white.
David

Thanks, David!

WOW. Y'all are way over my head. lol. So I gather that something else even though mostly white, like a Delaware for example, crossed with the black would not necessarely have all black offspring. This is gonna be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom