Is it vegan to hatch chicks?

The only problem I could potentially see is what to do with the unwanted males that you hatch out. If you can't keep multiple roosters yourself, are you willing to let other people eat them? If so, you'll be fine. If not, finding homes for roosters where they get to live out their full lives can be very hard.
I’ll happily keep any cockerels and have enough room to separate if needed :)

This depends on who you talk to.
Some vegans actually do believe that an animal in captivity is better off not having been born.
Some vegans believe that doing anything to take and use the products of animals is wrong, even if they are natural and excess. I guess here, you're using these eggs that "belong" to the chicken to hatch as pets for your own enjoyment. You're also contributing to the breeding and hatching of chickens for human use. I'm not certain how this is supposed to be different than the same moral argument against eating eggs as part of ones diet.

If chickens are in a pet-like environment, like most back yard birds, is it still vegan to eat their eggs?

I think it's complicated. I don't think it inherently violates vegan principles, but it really depends on why you're vegan.

This depends on who you talk to.
Some vegans actually do believe that an animal in captivity is better off not having been born.
Some vegans believe that doing anything to take and use the products of animals is wrong, even if they are natural and excess. I guess here, you're using these eggs that "belong" to the chicken to hatch as pets for your own enjoyment. You're also contributing to the breeding and hatching of chickens for human use. I'm not certain how this is supposed to be different than the same moral argument against eating eggs as part of ones diet.

If chickens are in a pet-like environment, like most back yard birds, is it still vegan to eat their eggs?

I think it's complicated. I don't think it inherently violates vegan principles, but it really depends on why you're vega

I’m vegan for the animals but where do you draw the line. Some vegans ride horses and some are against it. Some put dogs on vegan diets but we give ours raw meat(yes that’s still contributing to the meat market) but I couldn’t put my dog on a vegan diet and I chose to have a dog. I’m glad someone has balanced this conversation thank you! :)

I can see the dilemma but veganism is only an illusion people create for themselves so at the end of the day you can do whatever you want and believe whatever you want... Being vegan as a whole does not stop society butchering billions of animals. To think that 1 person out of a 1000 will make any difference is wishful thinking so it really makes no difference to the world as a whole either way.

The principle of veganism is not to consume any animal products but more importantly it is about not being responsible for an animals death.
Hatching chicks will invariably cause deaths as nobody has 100% hatch rates and then the problem with the males was mentioned. Being a responsible chicken keeper means also making the hard decisions that vegans want to avoid, ie killing an animal. If a dog or a cat gets sick it is actually the same situation just most people pass the responsibility of putting the pet down on to a vet - maybe a vet would do it with a chicken too, I'd never really thought about it much but if you get a vet to do it is just a form of cheating if you are a vegan in my opinion

But "for the animals" means so many things do different people. Full disclosure - I'm NOT vegan. But I know a lot of folks that are vegan, vegetarian, pescatarian, etc. Some I'm good pals with, some I'm not. The ones I'm friends with tend to be very low key about it.

I suspect the more militant people I've encountered would be disgusted that you're hatching eggs. But you're not them and you don't have to be. So it's really up to you to weigh the pros and cons, but if I were in your position I would consider why hatching eggs for your benefit is OK but eating eggs for your benefit isn't.

Might be something to reconcile there.

I can see the dilemma but veganism is only an illusion people create for themselves so at the end of the day you can do whatever you want and believe whatever you want... Being vegan as a whole does not stop society butchering billions of animals. To think that 1 person out of a 1000 will make any difference is wishful thinking so it really makes no difference to the world as a whole either way.
All changes start small. We'd still be caveman if you waited for a large percentage of people to agree before making a change. Props to the OP for pursuing what they think is right and being open to seeking input along the way.

Also, this was kind of rude and belittling. You pose a good argument in the second half of your post, but you could have just as easily done so in a kinder and more respectful manner.

This may be silly to ask but is it ok to be vegan and hatch chicks? I’ve been vegan for three years and before that I’ve hatched chicks before. I don’t eat their eggs my family do and i just love the other breeds. I’ve hatched polish bantams, Ayem cemanis, light Sussex’s and have some battery hens. Sorry if this is on the wrong thread. :) 🐥 Edit: thank you everyone for the quick replies and the kindness with them! My mum laughed and said I was going to get slated for asking so I appreciate everyone’s kindness
this is an old post, but yeah! Nothing wrong with hatching unless you sell the babies to poor homes/for meat uses- personally I wouldn't hatch certain breeds that I find to have inhumane features- but from healthy ones absolutely! Hatching chicks is such a wonderful thing to do, there's nothing like seeing life grow!

"Being vegan as a whole does not stop society butchering billions of animals. To think that 1 person out of a 1000 will make any difference is wishful thinking so it really makes no difference to the world as a whole either way."

Out of curiosity... Have you ever seen a film by the name of " Food Inc."? It absolutely makes a difference what choices we make when buying food, eating out, all of that!
Walmart, the evil empire, stopped selling milk from cows treated with growth hormones. Why? Because their sales told them more people preferred to buy it. Walmart! That's just one tiny example.
As far as veganism goes, it's seriously an individual thing. Seriously. I occasionally eat real cheese! (Gasp!!) So long as it's locally & ethically crafted. My opinion (since we're trotting those out!), is that everyone should live and eat as well as possible, as ethically as possible, with the guide of "do no harm". (Except, we tend to forget that includes ourselves. Quality of life matters!!)
Putting an animal down when that is the most ethical choice is hardly "anti-vegan". More like anti-"PETA" (here is where I mumble something about "hypocrisy"...and "rampant & dangerous ignorance" )
Really.
I've seen FAR more harm done with the best intentions by folks who believe they are " helping animals" because they're anthropomorphizing. Projecting their own, very human emotions, on to an animal. I'm curious who on here really understands the way birds process pain. It's nothing like it is to us, in many ways.
Our good intentions are dangerous when we act without full knowledge. As for the definition of "vegan"..... Well, perhaps @Mellowmalt would care to define the term "ethical" while they're at it. Goodness. Be kind, be kind ♥️♥️♥️

@BelovedBirds you're doing just fine, if you look deep down, I think you'll find you already know the answer! What are your core values? I cried today when I accidentally squished a spider I was trying to save. Like a toddler robbed of a lollipop! A week ago? I put a bullet in a feral cat who was killing baby chicks. (I'm anti-outdoor cat anyhow, they kill song birds. The exception being cats with jobs, i.e. mousers.)

Ok. Time to step down off the soapbox, it's time to release the chickens, lol Night y'all!

@Mellowmalt Perhaps I misread your comment, if so I apologize. Though it did feel very.... polarized. You know, "this way or no way!" Hopefully, I misunderstood..

"Being vegan as a whole does not stop society butchering billions of animals. To think that 1 person out of a 1000 will make any difference is wishful thinking so it really makes no difference to the world as a whole either way."

Out of curiosity... Have you ever seen a film by the name of " Food Inc."? It absolutely makes a difference what choices we make when buying food, eating out, all of that!
Walmart, the evil empire, stopped selling milk from cows treated with growth hormones. Why? Because their sales told them more people preferred to buy it. Walmart! That's just one tiny example.
As far as veganism goes, it's seriously an individual thing. Seriously. I occasionally eat real cheese! (Gasp!!) So long as it's locally & ethically crafted. My opinion (since we're trotting those out!), is that everyone should live and eat as well as possible, as ethically as possible, with the guide of "do no harm". (Except, we tend to forget that includes ourselves. Quality of life matters!!)
Putting an animal down when that is the most ethical choice is hardly "anti-vegan". More like anti-"PETA" (here is where I mumble something about "hypocrisy"...and "rampant & dangerous ignorance" )
Really.
I've seen FAR more harm done with the best intentions by folks who believe they are " helping animals" because they're anthropomorphizing. Projecting their own, very human emotions, on to an animal. I'm curious who on here really understands the way birds process pain. It's nothing like it is to us, in many ways.
Our good intentions are dangerous when we act without full knowledge. As for the definition of "vegan"..... Well, perhaps @Mellowmalt would care to define the term "ethical" while they're at it. Goodness. Be kind, be kind ♥️♥️♥️

@BelovedBirds you're doing just fine, if you look deep down, I think you'll find you already know the answer! What are your core values? I cried today when I accidentally squished a spider I was trying to save. Like a toddler robbed of a lollipop! A week ago? I put a bullet in a feral cat who was killing baby chicks. (I'm anti-outdoor cat anyhow, they kill song birds. The exception being cats with jobs, i.e. mousers.)

Ok. Time to step down off the soapbox, it's time to release the chickens, lol Night y'all!

@Mellowmalt Perhaps I misread your comment, if so I apologize. Though it did feel very.... polarized. You know, "this way or no way!" Hopefully, I misunderstood..
True! It isnt about just one persons choice, if everyone had that attitude and continued supporting cruelty, then nothing would change. Like with every milestone in history where cruelty is challenged, every individual is needed to create that wave of change. I can't imagine supporting inhumane practices just because "nothing will change immediately".

I can so relate to your spider incident! I accidently stepped on a slug this week, felt awful because the poor thing was fatally injured and still just about alive- so I made the choice to feed him to my ducks, seemed the most humane option! I still feel so guilty though!

Just another reminder that being vegan is not cruelty free, it isnt perfection, its just about doing the absolute best you can do.

Back
Top Bottom