Is keeping Brahmas with smaller breeds ok?

hypnojessi

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
Troy, MO
I will be ordering chicks soon from a catalog and I really want to get some Brahmas because I think they are so pretty. But I was thinking about getting some other breeds also. I don't want to get any bantams but I was thinking about maybe some Orps, Wyandottes, Partridge Rocks, or Araucana. In my catalog, it says that the Brahma hens get to about 9.5lbs and the smallest breed I'm thinking about getting is the Araucana and those hens run about 4lbs.

Is there a problem with keeping large Brahmas with other birds that small? My main concern is the larger birds might peck the smaller ones too much or bully the smaller ones. Does anyone think this would be true? What other problems could you forsee?

And does anyone reccommend a cut off on the weight difference? Like if I get Brahmas at 9.5lbs, should I not get any hens that are smaller than, for example, 6.5lbs?

Thanks!

Hi I've got buff and light brahmas with my other chickens.2 of which are very small. Because they're so gentle I don't think it matters!

hypnojessi, in my opinion if you are getting day old chicks and they are all raised together from the start, it will be ok.

I know the light brahmas are supposed to be 9.5lbs for hens, but I know most aren't close to that

I have 14 really nice hens and only prolly 2 weigh that much. They are 2 years old.

Light brahmas mature slowly, by the time your chicks are 8 weeks old and feathered out, I think you will realize no problems. They will co-mingle just fine.

bigzio

The only problem I can see would be if you had a very large Brahma roo try to breed a very small hen. His weight on top of her could really do damage. Good luck with your new birds!

Great info guys!! Thanks again!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom